Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Big Rummage Sale

For a month now the congregation of our church has planned a big congregation wide rummage sale. It's raining today...wouldn't you know? I really didn't think this was a good idea to begin with because our church is in the country. The cross road it's located on is in the midst of being resurfaced and has been closed for a month to through traffic. It won't be reopened until June 1st...if then. The work is going slowly.

Then the same group has planned a breakfast tomorrow morning for the community. That means somehow we will have to clean up the all purpose room for that. There are tables all over the place....even the foyer....and all are loaded down with rummage.....some of it mine...from the move. I will be glad when the weekend is over.

Just before seven I will go out to church to be sure someone is there when the doors open at 8;00. It's still raining so I don't know what to expect.

Monday I will clean house. It has been a week now. Myra is coming to see me and the apartment on Tuesday and then we will have lunch. It's been awhile since I've seen her.

More later...

It's over...it's finally over. I thought no one would show up but everyone showed up at the church. It rained and ours was inside and all the others were either in yards or garages and ours was warm. It was huge! It took us until 4:00 to get it cleaned up. Thursday we will take the boxes to the thrift stores and give them to them. We gave four county mental health all the shoes and clothing. We had several hundred dollars. I had three hundred forty five dollars in my cash box and I'm sure the others had that much in theirs too.

I'm exhausted though. One event down and the other one yet to go. Tomorrow is the breakfast. it's at 9:00 and we are serving sausage, pancakes, bacon, juice, and coffee. It's a free breakfast for our community.

Then over the Memorial Day holiday I have our class reunion this month. In June I have the Juneteenth celebration and in July I have the church reunion....that's a family camp. After that, I am free.

No comments: