Sunday, November 2, 2008

New Health Problem

This has been a busy Sunday as usual. We went out to church a little early just to check if it was clean and neat. It was. After church we went to Sirloin Stockade for lunch. Bob has to be very careful what he eats. We are trying to get his sugar down. Friday he was diagnosed with diabetes. He had a reading of 400. It is down to 267 this evening. We are trying to get it below 100. It may take awhile.

After lunch, I did my notes. Then we went to the market to find some things Bob can eat. I have a lot to learn about diabetes. I have no experience with it at all. Until my sister was diagnosed with it last fall, we had no one in our family with it and for that matter, Bob has had no one in his family with it either. And this is a man 5 foot 10 inches tall who weighs 153. Go figure!

I still think our use in this country of high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar in nearly everything on the grocery shelves is the culprit. Our pancreas cannot process high fructose corn syrup. It does not cause that organ to produce insulin.

Neither Mexico nor Canada uses high fructose corn syrup. There is a message in that.

How long do you think it will it be until our government figures this out?

5 comments:

Judy said...

You are probably right about the corn syrup Margie. My Bob is a diabetic and takes medicine for it. I cannot keep him from eating sweets once in a while. He just craves anything sweet because he is not supposed to have it. He is not a big person either.

Margie's Musings said...

Wow,

Margie's Musings said...

I noticed tonight at our "Living the Questions" group, Bob wanted a brownie too...even though I don't have his sugar down yet. He did not put ice cream on his though.

Tell me, how many carbs are they allowed to have each day, Judy? Almost everything has carbs in it. We went to the market looking for something he could eat that didn't have carbs.

Judy said...

Hello again. Bob does not count his carbs. He tries not to eat sweets but usually does have one small thing a day with no problem. He takes his sugar every morning and if it is high, doesn't eat sweets that day. He never has a problem with it being high as long as he takes his medicine and gets some exercise daily. It is when he sits around and does nothing that his sugar seems to go up. If we walk or work in the yard and he is active he is fine.

Margie's Musings said...

Thanks for the information, Judy. my Bob does sit around and do nothing most all of the time. That must be why I am having trouble getting his sugar down.