Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Arm and Hand Worse


This is Thursday and Bob's arm and hand are worse. The swelling has spread to his armpit and chest now and it is red and warm. This high powered antibiotic does not seem to be working either. The next step is hospitalization and IV antibiotics. I have a call in to his doctor now.

He went to Independence with me this morning and we had breakfast at Eggbert's after my hair appointment. Then we went to the market and then came home and are waiting for her call.

When we got ready to leave, I wanted to put Slinky in the garage where it was warmer. He hates the garage. I took his rugs out there and his water. I tried to get him to go in the garage but when he got to the doorway, he refused. Twice I coaxed him to the utility area but when he saw it was the garage I was trying to get him in, he went back to the kitchen and lay down on the rug by the sink.

Finally, I got his leash. He loves his walk. He came to me and let me put it on him, wagging his tail furiously. When I got him into the garage, I shut the door and took off the leash. He looked at me as though I were a traitor.

When we got home, Bob came into the house and opened the utility room door and he came back into the kitchen. He really needed to go out but was evidently afraid he would not get back in. He stayed in for awhile but when it warmed up to 40 outside on the patio and the sun came out, he wanted to go out there so I took his rugs out to the chaise lounge and he is out there now basking.

He'd better do it while he can. We are forecast for freezing rain and 8 to 12 inches of snow later this afternoon and night. He will be in for another couple of weeks then...no doubt...and so will we.

Update: Bob has a doctor's appointment in the morning at 9:00. We'll see what she says.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That dog is a "hoot". I am so sorry to hear things are worse with the arm and hand. Do you think it could be something not connected to the place on his chest? My Bob was bitten by a brown recluse spider several years ago and his hand and arm swelled up something awful. They gave him antibiotics that did not do a thing. Finally, he found out there is an antidote for poisonous spider bites. It was given to him and the swelling and infection went down. I sure hope they can do something to help him soon.

Margie's Musings said...

They looked and looked to see if something had bit him but it seems it is generalized. Now it is moving to his chest and he has a good sized left "breast". I checked the arm and chest area and there doesn't seem to be any lumps.

pat m said...

I really hope they put him in the hospital and do more tests plus giving him the antibiotic. As a nurse I'm concerned about the increase swelling.

Margie's Musings said...

Me too, Pat. Thanks for caring, folks. You are good friends even though I have never met any of you. I feel that I know you.