Thursday, December 16, 2010

Car In Shop

Well, my brother-in-law and I went to breakfast at Eggberts this morning and then took my car in to the shop for the new struts. The mechanic called me yesterday and said he was alarmed about the cost of the struts for this little old Honda that I drive. He said each axle was going to run $450 to $475. He wants to just look at each wheel..one at a time... and decide whether to do them all. I know from what they told me at Bartlesville that the left front is leaking oil so it's a sure thing. He will look at the others and decide whether to go ahead and do them. Then he will put the best tires on the front until I can afford to get new tires. This can be a very expensive repair. I haven't had brakes on this car either but then I don't ride the brakes like some folks do. Hopefully he will check that out while he has the tires off.

My brother-in-law said if for any reason I needed to go somewhere...like the hospital for my chaplaincy, to just call him and he will take me. That's good to know since we never know about those things.

More later...

Well, the shop just called me to tell me that the rear struts were even worse then the front ones and he has the wrong ones for the rear and cannot have the correct ones until tomorrow. I told him that was not a problem. I don't need the car.

I will need two new tires too pretty quick. The rear struts are the ones that have ruined the tires. The back struts are leaking too. I asked him to check out the brakes while he had the car. I haven't noticed any problem with the brakes but then...I didn't notice any problem with the struts either.

He will charge me $713. plus tax and I will need to get it aligned in Bartlesville after that. I will probably get the two tires at Tate's and then have it aligned there too. I will have the two new tires put on the front. The alignment will be $79.95 plus tax.

I guess that's upkeep on an old car.

That's the news for today.

1 comment:

Donna. W said...

I hate having a car that has gotten to the point where you have to decide whether to put money into it or get another car.