Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Wednesday Bad News

Sure enough! It was just as we suspected. The new landlady raised all our rents $50.a month! The new rent  starts in April.  We are all upset because we all have very limited incomes. There's nothing we can do however, except dig into our savings and pay it.

 I have been reading my friend Ron's autobiography. It is very interesting and I have downloaded it onto my Kindle. I went to Caney this afternoon for my visual range test. If it comes out correctly, I will have eyelid surgery on my right eyelid. I had the left one done several years ago in Wichita. I will not go back to that doctor. This time I will go to Joplin.  I sat in the reception room and read that Kindle.  It is very entertaining.

After the test I checked out the low income housing in Caney. They had two openings. Both apartments were one bedroom and very small. There was no protection for our cars.  I doubt I will move.

I went to Wal Mart for groceries today. I have spent $58.00 for groceries already this month. Between the electric bill and the cost of groceries, my budget is under water.   

I went this evening to my grandson's birthday dinner in Independence. I came home early though because we are under storm warnings.

More tomorrow.....



8 comments:

pat m said...

Marge..do you qualify for SSI?

marlu said...

Margie, I just "googled" Kansas law on landlords. If you have a lease, they cannot raise the rent until the end of the lease; for example, one year.

Margie's Musings said...

We have no lease, Marlu, and I doubt I qualify for SSI. I have $1234.00 in income and there's just me.

It's the cost of groceries and electricity in this all electric apartment complex that has really hurt me.

Betty said...

I'm sorry your landlady raised you rent. $50 a month seems exorbitant. Let's hope she doesn't make a habit of it. You and the other renters may have to have to have a little talk with her if she tries to raise it again any time soon. You might start by asking for a lease. She sounds a bit greedy.

Balisha said...

You've hardly been there anytime at all. I feel so badly for you. I read once that you can live without money when you are young, but not when you are old. Everything is getting out of hand....I notice it in groceries. Seems that they go up every week. Well, hang in there and I'll keep you in my prayers.
Balisha

pat m said...

Check with SS to see if you qualify.here in Wa there the are low income apt and you can have small pets.

Does Kansas have anything like that?


.
.

Margie's Musings said...

Yes, Pat, they do but they are one bedroom and I have an apartment full of nice furniture.

Besides that the cost of moving is terrible. I had spent some money moving here and buying Roman blinds so I could get rid of long drapes.

I brought my own double door frig and the glass top stove that my friend, Cyndi, gave me in exchange for my mower. I also bought a small microwave and my son-in-law mounted it over the stove. I put up a wall mounted hair dryer and a nice cabinet in the bathroom.

It's a dilemma for all four of us.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Oh so sorry about the rent being raised :(