Friday, June 5, 2015

Friday At Last

Yesterday was absolutely exhausting. The work is hard enough. My hands and fingers swell every time I scan bar codes. Some of the books I have to pull out of the shelves are absolute tomes.  But even worse is the noise. Yesterday the school aged kids had a special program in the children's department so Cindy is reputed to have sent any underage kids with their parents to our department. No one teaches their children to be quiet in the library anymore.  It was absolute pandemonium. I was trying to concentrate on what I was doing. It was impossible. Finally I approached the noisiest group and told them they were in a library and should lower their voices.  Some people were trying to study and concentrate. What a shame! I don't even work for the library. If I could afford to do so, I would quit again.

Anyhow, I did not sleep all that well last night. I ended up getting up before 5:00.

Today we go to exercise class and afterward we will go to Utopia for their cinnamon rolls and coffee.  Then I will come home and dust the apartment before fixing lunch. In order not to have leftovers, we are just having hamburgers and french fries today.  We leave in the morning for Branson.

I dread going back to work this afternoon. I imagine I will scan bar codes again.  There will also be many DVDs to be put away. The library has become the source for DVDs..... without rent. Children, and even adults, are not reading much anymore. They are instead watching DVDs...hundreds of them.  I am apprehensive about what living under an illiterate generation is going to be like.  They don't read because they haven't learned to read well. They know nothing about politics or social studies. They don't even know geography anymore.  It's a pity. When I was a child the US was number 1 in the world in education. Now we are 16th. What a tragedy.

More later...

I was lucky today. Katie was off and I did all DVDs and cleaned some too. There was no scanning  of bar codes. I did some filing and stayed busy putting away magazines and papers.

It was a good day.  Just before I left, Keith, my older son, called. He was on his way home from work and just wanted to visit.

I had yogurt for my dinner this evening and a cup of Chia Latte. I need to pack in awhile because we are leaving at  6:00 in the morning. I have put the cat feeder out for Missy and two bowls of water.  She will be fine.... no longer then we will be gone. Bob will be over after awhile for wine and we will watch Brooks and Shields on PBS. We both enjoy them. When he goes home, I will take my bath and put my PJs on and Missy can lay in my lap in the recliner until bedtime.

No comments: