Monday, September 28, 2015

Monday and The John Whitmer Association Meeting Photos



I took some photos while I was attending the meeting and I want to share them on this blog. First there is the new hotel. It was just opened in March of this year and is very pretty.

It has an event center just to the right of the photo. I barely got it in my photo.  This is a huge hotel for this part of the country.
This is the lobby of the event center.  It is what you see when you walk through the front doors here.
This is the registration table. Several people are picking up their packets there....including Billie, who brought her little poodle. One other person brought their dog as well. They were fairly well behaved animals but personally, I don't think there is a place at a convention of this sort for animals.

I ended up taking a trolley tour on Saturday afternoon and we stopped by the Auditorium where our conferences are held. This is a photo of that historic building. It was planned and begun before the great depression and work had to be held up on finishing it until the 1950's while the church paid off a million dollar debt on the building.  We learned from this experience not to borrow money from lending institutions. If the money for a project is not in hand, our church doesn't proceed until it is.

This is historic Stone Church. It was the first building project after our church returned to Independence after the reorganization. So it is very old but well kept. My friends, Joanne and Reg, whom I stayed with during the conference attend here.

This is an old friend, Professor Bill Russell. He is presenting a paper at the conference. He is a very entertaining presenter and has a great sense of humor.

I'll have to go to my other computer to find a photo of our Temple. I did not take one on the tour even though we did a mini tour in there.
This is not the greatest photo I have of it but I neglected to take a new one while I was there. It was designed by a Japanese architect.  It is beautiful. It is dedicated to the pursuit of peace.  The church presents a peace prize every year to some deserving person who has worked hard for world peace.

I'll see if I can find a better photo of this Temple.

Community of Christ Temple


This one is a little too small and slightly fuzzy.  But maybe you get the idea.

No comments: