Monday, July 7, 2008

Transportation

I have been watching the news and it seems many communities are resorting to bus lines for their transportation now that the price of gas has gone through the ceiling. It occurred to me that the city of Coffeyville should re-instate bus service for transportation for low income people and the elderly who cannot afford to drive. I have seen a lot of people on bicycles and motorcycles nowadays but not everyone can ride a bike or cycle safely. Has there been any discussion about buses?

Once upon a time when I was on the chamber board, I suggested those little tour trolleys for tourism here but nothing ever came of the suggestion. They could be used for tours of the Airport Museum, Brown Mansion and Dalton Defenders Museum if by some chance the price of gas goes down..

Years ago, the oil companies and auto companies conspired to eliminate interurbans, trollies and trains. A train can move a ton of freight 436 miles on a gallon of fuel and that is only an average. Some can even do better. Semi trucks cannot do that and they are a menace on the highways. Thirteen percent of all fatal highway accidents are due to semis and the cost of moving freight is driving prices up on everything . We should push for reinstatment of the train for long range travel as well. We used to have one that went to Bartlesville as well as cities in southeast Kansas. Those disappeared in the 60's.

2 comments:

Judy said...

Hi Margie, I hate the semi trucks on the highway. They will run completely over you here if you don't get out of their way. I wish we had trolley cars. I used to ride them in New Orleans when we went there and loved them. We are going to have to do something because of the gas prices!

Margie's Musings said...

I agree. In 1991, one of them ran over my car while it was making a right hand turn from a middle lane without a signal.

It was a local semi from the town in which the accident happened. They gave ME a ticket and did nothing to the driver of the semi.

Half my car was strewn over the intersection and they gave ME the ticket.