Thursday, February 19, 2009

America's Political Busybodyness

I received a letter from Senator Brownback this week explaining why he voted against the stimulus package.

I answered him like this:

Dear Senator Brownback:

I see your point about the stimulus package but do you have a better plan? We cannot just sit and do nothing. I understand that the Roosevelt plan was not what dug us out of the depression. But it certainly helped. It provided work so men could feed their families.

My grandfather lost his job in 1929 and mowed yards and shoveled snow all during the depression while he searched for work. Finally, he did some CCC work and some WPA work to feed his family of six. My grandmother cleaned houses for the rich here (who didn't even feel the effects of the depression) and did their laundry and sewed for them. My mother dropped out of school in her junior year of high school and went to work as a collection agent...great work, I am sure. The other three children stayed in school. It was World War II that finally got the economy working again. Well, I certainly do not want another war with Iran or North Korea to dig us out of this one. My sons have both been deployed in this war, one of them three times, and their lives have been in shambles ever since.

And, we cannot afford the war we are involved in now. Not only have we wasted billions there but it has cost families lives and grief. This is a clash of cultures caused by our unconditional support of Israel. We need to get out of Iraq and Afghanistan and stay out of the political business of other countries. We would have an absolute fit if they interfered in ours.

We need to always put the shoe on the other foot before we act in another's political business and consider the consequences of our actions if we were the ones on the other foot.

4 comments:

Femin Susan said...

I liked the way of your writing.Seems like suspense is hidden in every word of yours.
Cheers!

Margie's Musings said...

I see. I'm not quite sure what that means but I assume it's a compliment.

Linda said...

Good for you Margie. We have to begin to speak up. Interesting how all these Republicans are finding ways to justify accepting the stimulus money they fought so hard against.

Margie's Musings said...

Absolutely! If it's a matter of principle then they should refuse it. That would make a valid statement. By accepting it, they just look like hypocrites and greedy.