Friday, May 8, 2009

The Storm




We had a heck of a storm this morning with 65 mile per hour winds and hard rain.

When I got up after six o'clock both animals were sitting by the back door scared and waiting to get into the kitchen. I let them both in and then when the storm abated, I went out to survey the damage to my flowers. It's a good thing we sat out on the patio yesterday and enjoyed them because that wind broke off a lot of those peonies and luckily, did not damage the iris.

As you can see, I cut off the broken ones and they look better now but I hate that so many of those peonies had multiple buds on the stems that were broken.

My sister gave me the iris a couple of years ago and they have done beautifully out there where they get full sun. I wish I had the energy to dig that bed clear to the fence on the north but I don't.

I saw my first hummingbird day before yesterday so I got out the hummingbird feeders and got them filled. Strangely, I haven't seen any ruby throated ones yet. Just two plain brown ones with beige breasts.

4 comments:

Balisha said...

Hi Margie,
I love peonies, but that is the problem with them. It's still worth it to have them in the yard. We are waiting for windy storms here in Illinois. The weather scanner just went off...so we will have to watch it. Happy Mother's Day on Sunday.

Margie's Musings said...

I put cages around mine to support them and they usually hold up fine that way.

Beth said...

I'm sorry about your peonies, Margie. But, of course, thank God that was your only damage! The iris are so lovely against that red fence.

Judy said...

I think your flowers are so pretty. I put out the mothballs in my pots. We will see if they get rid of those pesky squirrels. We had tornadoes in Kentucky yesterday. They said it lifted a semi and several cars up in the air and knocked down houses in Richmond about an hour from me. Happy Mother's Day to you Margie.