Thursday, October 1, 2009

Thursday Meeting

Today we attended Ministerial Alliance at noon. They served us a nice lunch there too. Then I spent the afternoon getting my minutes written up and in the e-mail. Sixteen attended. The speaker was a woman who is chairman of the board of Genesis, an organization that helps the poor, the unemployed and the elderly with their bills.

I have been reading my John Whitmer Historical Association Journal. I have ordered a couple more of the series from the Jesus Seminar.

I have also posted on the church's website today. I have been arguing with people about politics and also that the Bible is not the infallible book many think it is. The gospels were written from the oral tradition decades after Jesus lived and died. I am amazed that so many people believe the gospels are eyewitness accounts. There were dozens of "Christian" groups prior to the "conversion" of Constantine. Orthodox Christianity just won out over the others and labeled them "heresy". The earliest canon was that of Marcion and he was Gnostic. As a matter of fact, the gospel of John is very Gnostic and quite late.

We need to remember that the scriptures were written much later then the life of Jesus and were written by men with an agenda. They did not know that later there would be a declared canon.

Anyhow, it's been interesting.

No comments: