Tuesday, October 6, 2009

To Independence and Back

Bob and I went to Independence after I got home from my sister's this morning. I bought a gift certificate for Juanita. Her 88th birthday is Sunday and I wanted to take my card and gift with me tomorrow to our breakfast after my appointment.

Then we took Leslie to lunch. Tonight we have another of our concert series. I am looking forward to that. It will be something different to do. I thank my brother-in-law for the tickets.

It took me awhile to finish at my sister's this morning. My brother-in-law had a new HDTV and had the cable people hook it up for him. Their remote had a "hundred" buttons and he could not figure out how to get his DVD player to work. I am not too whippy myself on this new technology but I did program our remote so I gave it a try. After about 45 minutes, I figured it out. He was able to cancel the house call he had ordered from the cable company after that.

We will have the leftover roast from Saturday evening for dinner this evening. That will make a quick supper so we can leave for the concert.

Our son, Keith, called this afternoon to discuss his tentative plan to sign up for a three year tour as a civilian computer tech (IT) in Afghanistan. After discussing it with me he then called his brother who is in the military. He advised him to do it...for $200,000 a year for a three year tour. I advised against it because of the risk. We are losing military worse now then in 2003. Even the UN Food building was suicide bombed over the weekend and 20 were killed. But Scott says Keith would be in a "safe" place in Kandahar, the capitol of Afghanistan. Where in the world anymore is a safe zone? I fear something would happen to Keith. Right now, with his life in turmoil, he is an accident waiting to happen.

No comments: