Friday, April 1, 2011

Unexpected Friday Weather

Well, it's raining again. This was not forecast. We were forecast to have fog. I let Slinky in the kitchen again this morning. He slept outside in 40 some degree weather. Missy stayed in last night and slept with me.

I was talking to Leslie on the phone last night about Jeromy's birthday dinner tomorrow evening and when we were finishing up, the house phone rang. I said "goodbye" to her and answered it. It was the hospital. I am the chaplain this week and they had a patient in ICU who was dying and his wife needed a chaplain. So I grabbed a badge and went to the hospital. This elderly gentleman who was 94 years old was working on a birdhouse in his shop and had a stroke. He was comatose and she was sitting by his bedside waiting for his death. She was 96. They would have been married 69 years next Tuesday. The family friends were there too and after I greeted them and introduced myself I asked them if they would like to have prayer. They did. So I prayed for him and them. Then I stayed and about 9:30, he died. She was pretty upset, of course. I tried to comfort her the best I could and intended to wait until her son arrived. He lives in Little Rock Arkansas and had not arrived yet. I left at 10:30 but Howard and Judy had come by then and Howard is a retired Methodist minister who attends her church and her best friend's daughter was there so I left them in good hands. That was sad.

Anyhow, I got to bed about 11:00 and slept well. Missy got me up at 4:20 to let her out. Then Slinky began barking to get in. I figured he was chilled so about 4:45 I let him in the kitchen again. I fed him and fixed our oatmeal. He loves oatmeal!

Tomorrow morning I will meet Bob A. for breakfast. Leslie will join us if she gets around early enough. She has a hair appointment here in Coffeyville at 9:00. Then tomorrow evening at 6:00 we will meet at the Italian restaurant in the Booth Hotel in Independence for a dinner to celebrate Jeromy's 32nd birthday. I need to get his birthday gift wrapped. I will look at my paper collection tonight and try to get that done.

I must be a sick person. I am watching "When Harry Met Sally" for the second time in a month. I think it's very entertaining.

No comments: