Friday, May 8, 2015

Friday Again at Last

It's another Friday and I always love to see Friday come. This morning I will not go to exercise class. I wasn't sure I would be up to it after yesterday at work. But I want to get the rest of my flowers planted and it is not raining this morning.

Missy wants to go outside but I am not ready. I want to wait until it begins to get light. In the meantime, I will pay a bill or two and post on this blog.

Today we will finish off the beans we had on Wednesday. I will walk over to the Dollar General store in a little while when they open and pick up another cornbread mix.

Tomorrow we will have chicken tenders again and mashed potatoes and gravy and a veggie. Bob will bring a salad. I have two cupcakes for our dessert. We will also eat breakfast out as usual.

I dread finding out what Katie will have for me to do today.  It's always something no one else wants to do or can't do.

More later....I stayed home from exercise class today while it was not raining yet and got my east flowerbed planted. Here is a photo of it.

This the flowerbed John, my son-in-law, built for me when I moved into the apartment. Last year it was lovely. It's supposed to storm tonight and over the weekend. It will be interesting to see if it does anything bad to my flowers.

More later....

I read this awhile ago and liked it. So I thought I would share it.

If you read the news, you would have trouble believing this:

"Our culture has been hoodwinked by the idea that we’re living in the center of crisis, when actually we’re in the midst of the evolution of hope. ... The stories we tell will heal us, or destroy us.

Catering to (and nurturing) fear and pessimism is a function of one of the most dangerous beliefs: that violence can bring order out of chaos, cleansing the world for the righteous (what Walter Wink called the myth of redemptive violence). Instead, violence merely generates more fear, pessimism, and conditions from which more violence may grow. Our journalism—and our personal social media use—needs to be resourced to deal in context, compassion, detail, and pause. More important, healing the world requires reframing the story as one in which, while we lament real wounds and work to prevent them, things are getting better, and we can make them better still.

This is as true for the creative arts of television, cinema, literature, and music as much as it is for their nonfiction counterparts. But the news does not begin with the flashing red strip across the bottom of the screen. It begins in your mind, and the story you’re telling about yourself. It catalyzes with your loved ones and neighbors to create a bigger story. It connects everywhere you go, on foot or chair or online. It is immensely powerful, although most of us aren’t conscious of this, most of the time. The way you tell the story about your world will actually co-create that world. The myth of redemptive violence needs to be replaced. Imagining a new myth is a privilege. It is also our responsibility."

I hope you like it too. 

The afternoon at work was not too bad. I stayed busy all afternoon and even finished the invitations I worked on for an hour and a half yesterday afternoon.

I am reading the paper now and drinking my Chai Latte. It really relaxes me. Bob will be over around 6:00 and we will watch Shields and Brooks on PBS. I always enjoy their remarks. Then after Bob leaves, I will take my bath and watch TV until bedtime. Missy will like that. She lays on my lap and just drinks in the contact. :) 

2 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Margie, We just got home from several days at the beach in Ocean Isle, NC. We go there a couple of times a year --and LOVE it. BUT--I'm a 'mountain' gal at heart ---so don't want to live near the beach ALL of the time!!!!

Your beans and cornbread sound good. Someone gave us some pinto beans --and I need to cook them---and of course, add some cornbread...

Hugs,
Betsy

Margie's Musings said...

I used great northern beans. I like them better then pinto beans and I always previously used pinto beans.