Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Wednesday and Bingo

I slept really well again last night. I woke up twice but right back to sleep.

Today we will have sloppy joe sandwiches with tater tots for lunch/dinner. I know that's not a healthy meal but I wanted to make something easy and easy to clean up after.  I want to go to the senior center and play Bingo this afternoon. Tomorrow we will go to Just Us in Cherryvale and eat out.  We hope they are open now. The last time we checked Jim was in the hospital with pneumonia. If they are not open, we will drive on over to Independence and eat at Great China.  We try to eat out at least once a week...not counting Sunday when we eat out with a group of church members.

My social security came in last night. Thank goodness! Mine comes in the second Wednesday of the month and sometimes that is as late as the 14th. Meanwhile all my bills are due before that date....especially my rent. It's tight. I have some savings but not enough. When Bob and I saved for our retirement, we thought we had enough.  Of course, he retired at 55, when Phillips Petroleum had a big layoff.  He took a package instead of wondering if he was going to be one of those laid off.  I continued to work until my age 62. Bob was 5 years older than me.

I had a good paying job selling advertising at a radio station and was their top salesperson. I got crosswise of the station manager, who wanted me to turn all my accounts over to him so he could give a part of them to his wife, whom he had hired as as a salesperson too.  She didn't have an account list. I had worked 12 years to build mine up and objected to giving him my list to share with his wife. I had given her all the ones I hadn't been able to sell so she could give it a try. But he wanted more.

So, he got rid of me.

Then I worked for another small signal radio station 40 miles away. I stayed with them for three years. Then I went to work for one of my accounts, a car dealer.  I only stayed there one year before I got  another offer that didn't require me to be out until 9:00 at night. ..again selling advertising for a weekly shopper. I retired from that job.

Oh well, if I manage carefully and don't live as long as my great aunt Margie, I can get by.  Staying in my own home for three years after Bob died set me back. I paid taxes on my house each year and did upkeep and that took a chunk out of my savings. I finally decided paying rent would be easier. I now let someone else pay the taxes and do the upkeep.

More later....

I played Bingo this afternoon and won four times. I brought home two hot pad mitts, a towel and a  book of crossword puzzles.    

Then I came home and visited with Marilyn R awhile. I gave her some of the sloppy joe meat.  She will have that for lunch tomorrow.  She is going to the VFW for hamburgers tonight.

Bob is to come over tonight to watch Nature and Nova on PBS.  He will probably be here soon. He never is ever to make it through Nature, He finds it boring. He usually goes home by 7:00.

But Missy loves it. She lies on my lap and watches those animals. 


2 comments:

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I's nice that you get to spend time each night with Missy Isn't it relaxing to sit at night with our cat or dog on our lap. My little Fuzzy Pomeranian insists on some lap time each night. He almost never pays any attention to anything on TV, but seems to see himself in the full length mirror in the bedroom as he walks past it. He seems always surprised to see himself there. One time I was trying to find out what screech owls and horned owls sound like by listening to their calls on the computer. He sure paid attention to that. He jumped up and came running over to me like he thought owls might actually be inside the computer. I don't know how he would know anything about owls,so maybe he just thought that my computer was making some crazy sounds, especially that screech owl.

Margie's Musings said...

I get a lot of happiness out of Missy. She's old and grouchy but has not bit me again in months....since I took a newspaper to her the second time she did that.