Sunday, September 10, 2023

Sunday and Church

I slept fairly well last night....was up twice to go to the bathroom...because of drinking more water then usual.  I was up at 5:00AM, made my bed and got myself ready for church. I got my coffee cake in the oven and it will come out shortly. I also fed Blondie and he ate almost all of his wet food and even some of the dry food too. Then he left and I took the food back to the garage and covered it.

I caught "the weather on the 8's" too. Today is to be 88 degrees and partly cloudy, tomorrow is to be 72 degrees and showers, Tuesday is to be 79 degrees and partly cloudy, Wednesday is to be 77 degrees and mostly cloudy, Thursday is to be 72 degrees and AM showers, Friday is to be 76 degrees and partly cloudy and Saturday is to be 81 degrees and partly cloudy. 

It looks like two days of rain...Tomorrow (Monday) and Thursday.

We can certainly use it.

The coffeecake is done and cooling out of the oven on a rack. I put a glaze on it and that is cooling too. 

I took my walk at 7:45AM and got back at 8:27AM. It was a very nice cool day with no wind. It's 8:30AM now and at 9:15AM I will start for church. The breakfast starts at 10:00AM. I will get the plates out and perhaps make myself some Chai Latte and some coffeecake.

I put some plastic over the cooled coffeecake. Now I will start for the church.

We had a nice breakfast at church and Leslie had the service and it was very good! I brought home some coffee cake and will share it with Sally. I don't know if I will go down to see Nancy on Tuesday. She was completely out of it when I was down there two weeks ago. They had moved her into the Alzheimer Unit. I didn't go this past week. She didn't even know me when I was down there the week before and we were even even out on the patio in back, and she kept falling sleep even in the chair. I finally just gave up and left. 

More Even Later... 

Has anyone reading this blog read Robin R. Meyers' book "Saving Jesus From the Church?" We studied it years ago in church school class and it was fascinating. I just uncovered it again and am rereading it.  It is still fascinating! The sub title is "How to Stop Worshiping Christ and Start Following Jesus."

I recommend it to anyone wanting to uncover the truth about the Christian religion.

Tomorrow I will meet my oldest friend, Gay, at El Pueblito in Coffeyville for lunch, go from there to Brown Shoe Fit Company so she can find a pair of shoes and then on to Tulsa to pick up her sister and brother- in-law at the airport. Then we will drive back to Coffeyville and I will pick up my car at El Pueblito's parking lot and I will drive myself home. It will be quite late by then.

I took my bath this evening at 8:00PM..a little later the usual. I had stayed up to watch 60 Minutes..It was late because of a football game but it was about 9/11/2001 and about the towers falling and over 300 firefighters killed in the wreckage of those two buildings. Altogether 2996 people were killed in the collapse of those two buildings.

My Bob took early retirement from his job at Phillips Petroleum in Bartlesville, Oklahoma, and he took a 13 week chaplain's course at Hillcrest hospital in Tulsa so he could volunteer for the American Red Cross as a volunteer chaplain. He went to every major disaster in the twelve years he worked as a volunteer for them. He went to 9/11 twice. As soon as they got planes flying again they sent him to work with the survivors and the families of those families that lost a firefighter or an office worker. He stayed 3 weeks that first trip. Then in February, they sent him back to New York for another 4 weeks.

When he and the two others got back home in February the Red Cross was going to have a news conference the following Monday. However, they learned that Bob was going to talk at church to tell about his experience. The TV station from Pittsburg, Kansas, came to our church that morning wanting to hear and film his experience. We told them the Red Cross was having a news conference on Monday but they insisted they would stay in the back of the church and not cause any disturbance so rather then to make scene about it we took then at their word. They were very quiet and did not cause any disturbance. They also caught the news conference the next day at the Red Cross in Coffeyville.

Both my sons were in the National Guard in the army and both served in Afghanistan and Iraq after Bush "activated" the National Guard and sent them to Iraq and Afghanistan. Three years ago I told my youngest son about the experience with KOTV and he googled the station to get their number to see if they would still have that tape. He caught the station manager just as she was leaving the TV station and he asked her if she would still have that tape. He explained his interest. She said she would stay and look for it and asked my son what his address was and he told her his and mine. We figured nothing would come of it but my husband had died in the meanwhile in May of 2010 and he told her that. A week later, we each got a copy of their interview. My daughter wanted a copy of it and so did my older son. So did the other couple who went to 9/11 in February too. My older son is an IT for the Department of Defense and he put it on my computer and my younger son put it on his computer and my daughter had her copy. We also made a copy for the other couple who went to New York in February.

Every once in awhile I play that copy of my husband's interview at the Red Cross just to see him again.

I am going to read awhile and then go to bed at 10:00PM.


4 comments:

Galla Creek said...

I will look for that book.

Margie's Musings said...

I got the original one from Amazon. It was used and on sale.

Margie's Musings said...

It is very good!

DrumMajor said...

Thank you for all of the anxious moments you experienced with your husband in NY, and for your sons service in the military. That's a cool way to remember your husband's voice. I only have a tape recording of my deceased husband. Sorry about your friend declining. It's so hard to watch. Maybe just being with her sometimes or reading a book to her might help. Music or favorite old tunes seems to bring their memory back sometimes, for a little moment. Linda in Kansas