Friday, July 25, 2008

Old Friends



I was reading a blog of a friend of mine and he was reminiscing about old friends. That brought to mind an old friend of mine. Gay and I met when I was 17 and she was 14. I am 72 now so you can see how many years we have been acquainted and been good friends. I have lost track of her several times over the years but somehow we have always met up again.

We first met up again when we were both young mothers and living in Bartlesville, Oklahoma. In days when young motherhood was very hard for me, she managed to get me through the hardest part. Keith was three and Leslie was one at that time. Bob was working nights and going to school days and I was losing my mind trying to do everything alone. As far as motherhood was concerned, Gay had it together much better. We were both "stay at home" mothers in those days. We spent a lot of time together while the men were gone. We would get together and set one another's hair, go to Y-Wives together where we did exercising, and we both bought a family swim ticket for the Sana pool there in Bartlesville and took our children swimming in the afternoons in summertime. It was a great pool with grass along the edges and we would lay out on our towels and visit.

Finally, she divorced and remarried and then moved away. I lost track of her then for a few years. but found her again when I began attending World Conference of my church in the 70's. She was living in Kansas City and my conference was in Independence. I called her and we met. Later, she divorced again and moved to Colorado. We wrote some and called occasionally over the years and she came to visit us in the '80's briefly. She came again and looked us up in the late nineties.

But everything changed when we moved here in this house in 2003. One day she called and wanted to come visit. She and her husband were moving to Kansas from Colorado and they wanted to park their RV here while they hunted for property. They found the piece of property they wanted and bought it and she has been living 50 miles away ever since. We get together about once a month and have lunch or dinner. I have really enjoyed our long term friendship. This picture is of Gay and Tony nowadays.

2 comments:

Judy said...

Hi Margie, I have a friend a lot like Gay. We have known each other for over 40 years. She lives an hour from me and we have lunch also. We lived next door when our children were young.We used to take turns making dinner at night for our families. It is wonderful to have such a great friend.
Is your son's dog a Shar-pei? I have another friend that used to have one named Rosco. Rosco rode from Kentucky to Texas with us one time and drooled all over us on the way. He was the funniest dog. Have a good weekend.

Margie's Musings said...

Yes, Judy, he is a Shar Pei. He is the sweetest dog ever and very well mannered but, yes, they do often stink and they do drool. He and I went for a walk this morning and he was thrilled to death. He acted like a well mannered pup.