Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Compromises


Life is full of compromises. When you get near the end of your life you really should look back and then look at where you are now.

When we were young, we built several very nice homes but we didn't live long in any of them. The grass always looked greener on the other side of the fence so we would sell the home and move into another or build another. Now we are old and have none of them paid for. That, of course, is our fault. We could have had any of those nice homes paid for but every time we moved and bought another house, the value of houses had increased and we owed even more. Again, our fault. We were stupid.

Now the house we have now is fine but it certainly isn't my dream home. But it is a good compromise.

I have a used car but it too is a compromise. But it is a good compromise. It's a 2001 Honda Civic and it gets 39 miles to the gallon. It also has 105,000 miles on the odometer. I hope it lasts as long as we do. My husband, Bob, has a 2000 Ford Ranger pickup. It does fine for everything we need a pickup.

My furniture was mostly bought thirty years ago but it is fine. I was working at a high end furniture store at that time and I bought it all at cost plus 10% for freight. It was such good furniture that I still have it.

But we have great kids! Keith, the oldest is 53, Leslie is 51 and Scott is almost 48. They are all loving, caring, hard working adults....certainly no compromises. And if we make it until April, Bob and I will have been married 55 years. There were good years and bad years but we hung in there and worked it out.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I think we all have times when we look back over the past and deem ourselves successful in some areas and not so good in others. We seem to do a lot of reflecting at this age.

I wouldn't go back for anything. I'm greatful for the good times and have left the bad ones behind to move toward the future. I can't let those hold me back.

I feel so bad for the children caught in divorces and sometimes I see a spouse that I feel didn't deserve such treatment.

Margie's Musings said...

I know what you mean, Linda. Some children just never recover from their parents' divorce.