Monday, May 23, 2011

Storm Warnings

We are under storm warnings today. Yesterday evening, an EF 4 tornado hit Joplin Missouri which is 70 miles east of us here. It destroyed 30% of a city of 50,000. 89 were declared fatalities and there may be more. It's the most fatalities in a single tornado since 1954. It was at least 3/4 of a mile wide.

A wave of rain and storm warnings continue to be issued here. We've had torrential rains and some marble sized hail. Slinky is in the kitchen. That old dog was frightened. Missy came in out of that rain and was soaking wet. I took a towel to her to try to dry her out. Inky was in the garage and he is still there.

Scott, my younger son, has called several times. I called to see if my daughter was alright. She was. She lives east and north of here.

I am not able to get to work today because my street and others are flooded. So I am just staying home until it lets up enough (if it does) to clear the streets.

Last night I had the Living the Questions group here. It was alright but not as interesting as usual. But I always enjoy the fellowship.

There are very few basements in this area. It was once an inland sea and is all limestone. If you want a basement they dig it with a jackhammer.

More later...

4 comments:

Elaine in Florida said...

Margie..the tornado in Joplin was a horrible thing. So glad it didn't reach your area. Seems we're having some strange weather in this country of late. Have a good day.

Elaine

Margie's Musings said...

Yes, we are Elaine. Thanks for the good thoughts.

Betty said...

Stay safe.

Margie's Musings said...

We have three more days of tornado weather upcoming. They cancelled my work today.