Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Cake Tuesday

This will be a big day too. This morning I will take the cakes to Independence. After I get them unloaded, I will get something to drink and go to my MC3 meeting. When I finish there, I will come home and write the minutes and send them out to Susie. That will probably take most of the afternoon.

Tonight I will watch TV if there's anything on. After Antique Roadshow last night, I just got my kindle and read. There was nothing I wanted to watch on TV. Most of those shows anymore are some kind of silly comedy...which I see no humor in at all and reality shows. If that's reality I prefer not to paricipate.

I sold another book yesterday and will need to get it in the mail while I am in Independence. That's the second one this week. I have listed another twenty books on Amazon. They are beginning to sell already. I want to get rid of nearly all my books. I will keep those that mean something to me. They are the ones I can reference. If I can get rid of my books, I will sell my three piece bookcase. I hate to do that because it's good stuff...Thomasville... but any low income rental I might move into would be too small to accomodate them. I would also need to get rid of the furniture in my second bedroom. I would keep the furniture in my computer room. I have my computer armoir, and a daybed with trundle. I would want to have a two bedroom place.

I think I'm about ready to think about selling my house next spring. Maybe by then this depression/recession will begin to be over. We can hope. I am having a struggle saving for the taxes and insurance. The taxes keep going up. I protested them last year and this year but I don't know how long I can keep the appraiser from raising them.....especially during this recession/depression. I also do not have the funds to repair anythng that might go wrong. I have already repaired the furnace and had a new therostat installed. And this spring I had a part replaced in the air conditioner unit. Then this spring when I had the roof replaaced, I had to have Jeff replace the soffits that had rotted and paint the eaves. I painted the framework over the patio before the roofer put the new cover on it.

I want to check out what my rent would be if I sell my house. The realtor I visited with yesterday told me they take into account my savings as well as my income. If I sell the house, I would save the equity. That may raise my rent.

3 comments:

clairz said...

Margie, I think it's interesting that you are able to make some money selling books on Amazon. Interesting and good.

I think we all (at a certain age) start looking at downsizing and getting rid of more and more of our material goods--things that once seemed so important now become a burden and we see that they take up so much space.

I, too, think about the day when we will need to move somewhere with less upkeep.

Betty said...

I have never regretted selling my house and renting an apartment. Of course, the rent does go up every couple of years, but that's nothing compared to property taxes, insurance and making necessary as well as cosmetic repairs. No yard maintenance, on-site maintenance people who will fix appliances, etc., are very nice to have.

Margie's Musings said...

Thanks, Betty and Clair for your comments. I can't do anything as long as I have Slinky though. He is 13 years old so hopefully will not live too many more years. Shar Paeis are only supposed to live to be 8 or 9 at the most. I will miss him terribly though since he's been so much company.