Friday, January 11, 2013

It's Friday!

Thank goodness it's Friday. I don't work Fridays. I finally caught up after a week of working at it. However, since I don't work Fridays, when I go back in on Monday, I will have a full box. That's fine. At least I caught up before my weekend.

This morning I will go to Independence to have my hair done. After that, I will go to the bank and get my week's money. I will go out to church and begin taking down and putting away the Christmas decorations. Melissa, Karan and Bobby will join me at 9:00 and Bob will come out about 10:15 after his exercises. Eventually we will get everything cleaned up. It's always a huge job. Cyndi will then clean on Saturday.

We will probably eat lunch at Dearing cafe. Their special today is chicken and noodles and they are just three miles south of the church. I will be too tired to cook at noon.

I have been following the political gun control discussion. The most reasonable course would be to ban assault weapons and require folks to have background checks for ammunition. The NRA however is furious. They want no gun control of any kind. Oddly enough, we don't allow citizens to purchase land mines or cannons, yet the NRA has no problem with that. They see any regulation as an assault on the 2nd amendment. They evidently have no actually read the second amendment. It plainly says "militia". When one puts the second amendment in it's cultural venue, it is apparent there was no army or police force and that people in that day were in fear of their lives from attacks from Native Americans.

We now have a police force in communities and a national guard and army. We no longer need citizens to protect themselves with assault weapons. A hand gun should be plenty of protection in the home. Rifles and shotguns should be fine for hunters.

2 comments:

ChuckFu said...

I agree mom, no civilian should own a M-16 or large capacity clip. however what I think what they are saying and I agree with it takes all of about 10sec to drop a small capacity clip and put in another. another is give the government a foot and they'll take a mile. but in any case NO M-16 or large capacity clips, might concider in this day and age arming the teachers or precipals or armed guards in the school. WOW what a change from when you and I went to school

Margie's Musings said...

I would not want a gun available in a classroom...even if it was in the possession of a teacher.

I consider violent video games and violent movies and TV a desensitizing medium for children and adults. It desensitizes them to violence.