Monday, October 29, 2018

Monday and a Good Night's Sleep

I slept well last night. I did wake up two times to go to the bathroom but got right back to sleep. I got up about 5:00AM, which is my regular time to get up. I fed Missy and myself and got myself ready for the day. Then  I texted Bob to make sure he was alright. He was!

I have been watching the channel 6 news but thought I would work on my blog until the CBS news comes on at 8:00AM. The past two days I have had a good TV picture for some strange reason.  The weather must affect it. At first I thought the antenna must have fallen off it's stand again but evidently that's not it.

Missy is back on my bed again. She sleeps an awful lot anymore. I will bake my cake this morning and get that out of the way. After it cools, I will ten ice it. I went to the Country Mart to get another mix. Theirs are pretty expensive but I didn't want to drive six and a half miles one way out to Walmart for just a cake mix.

I have just enough time to get my cake in the oven before the news so I will get back to this later.

I got the cake made and baked and later after it cooled, even iced it.

I finished watching the CBS Morning Show and them took Missy outside and combed her. This time she stayed close by me until I brought her back in thirty minutes later...

I wanted to work on my blog. I gave Missy some more of her new soft cat food in the little flat cat dish and she gobbled it right down.  I also ground up some of her Iams and put that in her food dish. Maybe she will eat it later...after she gets hungry again.

Leslie texted me that she had contacted the washateria and asked if my phone had been turned in. Of course, the answer was "no". I recall reading my kindle on it and when I began visited with the minister there, I put it in the side pocket of my purse...where I always keep it when I am finished with it. I then took the coverlet out of the washer and put it in the dryer and fed some quarters into the dryer. While I was doing that, my back was turned. The other man left shortly after that and later, after he had folded his laundry, the minister left with his. It must have been the first man that took it.

Oh well, that's over and done with! More later...I guess I will go up to the shopping center and fill my Samaritan Child shoe box....

Vic, the man who brought me Porter peaches and wonderful strawberries when they were in season, came to visit just about the same time Phyllis brought me her cake.  They are both gone now so I will get up to the shopping center and get my Samaritan Child box filled. Then I will have the rest of the soup Marilyn gave me last week. I ate the first half on the Thursday before I left with Leslie on Friday.


November 10th 2018 Minister’s Message
Jesus is Calling You!
Scholars have found meaning in studying larger sections of Mark’s Gospel together. Even though Mark’s Gospel is shorter and generally more concise than the others are, Mark tells two stories about blind men being healed (Mark 8:22, 10:46). These two healings serve as markers of the beginning and ending of a lesson to the disciples. Between these demonstrations of Jesus’ merciful power, Jesus works at teaching his disciples through word and deed about the nature of discipleship and about the purpose of his ministry. 

This message is one of powerful love and mercy and self-sacrifice for others. But repeatedly Jesus’ disciples fail to understand. They turn people away who need help. Instead they argue about which one of them is the greatest.

By the time Jesus heals Blind Bartimaeus in Jericho, His disciples are almost at the end of the  journey, practically all the way to Jerusalem. One might think the disciples had plenty of time by then to understand, to see Jesus’ message. But even Blind Bartimaeus is told to be quiet when he asks for healing. It might be significant that Blind Bartimaeus is instantly healed by Jesus while the blind man from Bethesda found in Mark, chapter 8, who is not named, was harder to heal (see Mark 8:24– 25). Peter is also said to have been from Bethesda, so the first blind man may represent the disciples and how difficult it was to get the disciples “to see.”

Jesus’ disciples had an entirely different way of picturing his Kingdom. They saw it as a way to become one of the rich and powerful. He saw it as a way to be of service to others. 

Rather than trying to get God to do powerful favors for us, we should be aware of the value of coming to see that God wants us to serve others who are struggling, and serve them with   mercy as Jesus did and as he taught.  

We are all called to do whatever is in our power to be of service to others in our acquaintance. That was a great part of Jesus’s powerful message. As our theme emphasizes, God expects us to be the ones to establish his kingdom of peace.  We are reminded  “when you are in the service of your fellow man, you are in the service of your God.”
 
God is calling us and continues to call us to care for one another and to connect with one another.
 ______________________________________________________


Emmett came an hour ago and fixed my door.  The latch was broken. I imagine it was original equipment.  The apartment building was built in 1969.

I went up to the Dollar Tree and bought some things to put in my shoe box for the Samaritan Child project.  That's done now. We will pack our boxes on Sunday November 11th after the service that morning and after our basket dinner.

More later...

When I got back home, I fixed the rest of that wonderful soup Marilyn shared with me. It was very good. I had bought some real good cheese to have with it and that, with crackers, topped off the meal.

I had two of the computers on my Cox Service account tuned up. One was terribly slow. The other just needed a regular tuneup. That is such a great service. For $10.00 a month they will take care of any of four computers I have on the program.

More even later... 

Missy and I watched TV until I was just too tired to watch any longer.  I hate to go to bed at 8:30PM but I am very tired and I may just do that. I didn't eat any supper. I was out of yogurt and that's usually what I eat in the evening.

So goodnight all!....


 

No comments: