Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Tuesday and a Tour Trip

I slept fitfully last night and finally just got up at 4:00AM. I have dressed, had my breakfast and watched the weather. At 7:00AM I will leave for Independence at the west ICC building...where K-Mart used to be located before they closed. The college uses that building now. We will meet there to load into the bus. We will be going to Ponca City, Oklahoma for this tour.

We will visit the Poncan Theater and see a film about the city and it's development. Then we will go to the grand home of E.W. Marland, the founder of Marland Oil, which later became Conoco and also the Marland Mansion, a 55 room 44,000 sq. foot castle.   A catered lunch will be served in the grand ballroom of this mansion.

It will be a full day and we will be back in Independence at 5:30PM.

More later...

It was a huge day! A wonderful lunch, lots of walking and climbing steps but very interesting. Ponca City is a lovely town of about 25,000. It is clean as a whistle. They had redone their theater and it looked very much like Coffeyville's Midland and was just beautiful!  The city has workers that continually clean up trash. I saw no trash on the streets and the buildings were generally charming. The Mansion was huge and beautifully done and the city of Ponca City had bought it and kept it from being razed and restored it to it's earlier beauty.  The tour was very interesting. It was well worth the trip. Phyllis and I both enjoyed it a lot.

I washed my car when I got back home. 

I am very tired though. I will get back to this tomorrow sometime after I have had a chance to rest up.

I will take my bath and put my PJs on and go to bed about 9:00PM.


No comments: