Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Wednesday and A Trip to Neodesha

Yesterday's developments just pointed out to me once again how tenuous life really is.  Everything can change on a dime!

After yesterday and my small part in it, I was exhausted. Sue was one of my dearest friends as well as a member of our congregation. Last Sunday she had just said she wanted to come by Caney one day soon and pick me up and we would go to Bartlesville and have lunch. I told her to just call ahead so I would be sure to be home and I would love to go. Then two days later, she was dead. She was my age.

After everything that happened last evening, I decided to take a melatonin tablet so I could get to sleep. I slept well. I was just contemplating getting up when the phone rang. It was Scott, my youngest child calling from Nashville. He just wanted to visit while on his way to work, I told him about yesterday's developments. Not only had Johnna lost her mother but she had just lost her father just before Thanksgiving and her husband the year before that. No wonder she was bereft. We visited awhile and then he was at work and needed to go. It was good of him to call. The boys are very good about calling about once a week.

It is thundering and lightning here this morning and probably raining too. It's too dark to see out to check that out.

I am going to go watch the news and will get back to this later....

Leslie called me awhile ago. She had called the Independence Walmart store to get some chicken and potato salad to take to the family. They were out of boxes. So she called me and asked me to do that using the Coffeyville Walmart store. I did that. At 11:00AM, I will go over to the Walmart store in Coffeyville and pickup the chicken rolls and potato salad and take them to Neodesha to the family.

I got it all loaded into my car and took off for Neodesha.  It was pouring down rain part of the time. By the time I got to Sycamore, the rain had stopped and so  I got to Sue's home where the family had gathered and one of their guest helped me unload the food. I visited briefly with Johnna and her younger brother and then excused myself so they could eat together. They will meet with the funeral home at 4:00PM this afternoon and try to set a date for the funeral. She will stay in touch with those details.

Then I drove back to Independence and bought some frozen Walmart meals and some Braums yogurt and milk before coming home. I also bought gas at Miller Brothers there. As I was getting the gas, Nancy called. She is fine today and plans to go to Bible study at 5:30PM . She says she will drop by here before her Bible study.

More later...

Nancy did drop by and visited for awhile before her Bible study. She was much better.  I was very tired after bucking those strong winds all the way home from Neodesha  but I read until bedtime and then took my bath and went to bed at 9:00PM.

2 comments:

Galla Creek said...

What a disaster

Margie's Musings said...

Yes, it is. I went up there this morning and took food to the family. They are all simply distraught! Of course!