Monday, August 21, 2023

Monday and A Mess

 Yesterday was a huge mess.  The hot water tank, which was in a cabinet in the garage, went out. There was water all over the floor in the den. The carpet was soaked. I first checked the outside faucet. I had noticed it had a small leak. That wasn't it. I then checked the hot water tank and sure enough, that's what it was. The tray at the bottom of the tank, was full and running over and leaking under the wall to the den. I texted Stephen, my landlord, about it and also my daughter, Leslie. She said they were on their way over to Caney and would be here shortly. Stephen was at work at Walmart in Coffeyville and had to stay until closing there but would be right over as soon as he could. John and Leslie came first. John investigated the tank and turned off the water and the gas to it. Stephen had contacted a friend of  his that was a plumber at the hospital where Stephen has his primary job as a pharmacist.  His name was Travis. He came right over from Coffeyville but John had already done what he intended to do when he got here.

As soon as Stephen was free, he came over too and he had bought a huge fan and a vacuum pump that he had bought to vacuum up the water in the carpet. He must have worked at least an hour doing that. Then he put the fan on the carpet under the daybed after he moved the daybed away from the wall. The fan ran all night there and when I got up at 5:00AM, I moved the trundle to the daybed back under the daybed and moved the fan to cover the east wall. The west side of the room, where the daybed had originally sat and the fan was on all night, was dry. 

It's a mess but I slept like a baby last night. I had closed the door to the den and that muffled the noise. My shingles didn't even keep me awake although my left arm part is still sore this morning. I am down to my last pill for  the shingles. I will have to talk to the pharmacist at Caney Drug today.

I did catch the weather report though when I first turned on the TV.

Today is to be 104 degrees and sunny, tomorrow is to be 102 and mostly sunny, Wednesday is to be 101 and mostly sunny, Thursday is to be 103 degrees and partly cloudy, Friday is to be 103 degrees and mostly sunny, Saturday is to be 96 degrees and mostly sunny and Sunday is to be 91 degrees and mostly cloudy. Another steaming week!

More Later...

Blondie came for his breakfast and ate his fill of both the wet cat food and the dry cat food and I just put his dish back in the garage and covered it. He had very little wet cat food left but I put it back in one of the packages it came in and put it in the frig so it would keep.

Stephen came and checked out the progress on the drying of the carpet. He and I put the trundle back under the daybed and Stephen pushed it back where it belonged.

Then he took the vacuum over to his apartment east of mine in the duplex and said he had a little water that came from my tank into his apartment. I guess it would have been even worse if the tray that held the water was on the east side of the cabinet holding the water instead of on the west side. But any water in both apartments is not good. As I was taking my walk, I saw him in his pickup heading the the highway. If it isn't completely dry, it could develop mold and that could be a problem to our health.

 I was going to take my walk now and leave the door open so if Stephen came while I was gone he could get in to check everything out. Instead I may wait awhile though. He may not be comfortable to come in when I am not here,  

I went up to Independence this morning to the hearing aid place to have that receptionist show me once more how to change the stems and the little part that fits into my ear.  She was very good about showing me again.

I called Caney Drug and asked about getting a refill on my shingles med. They will check with the doctor and let me know later today what he said and refill it if he agrees to it.

He didn't agree to it. It seems the nurse who handled the Urgent Care prescribed it...not Lori or Doctor Christensen. I told her I still have a rash in my left armpit that burns like fire and wakes me up at 2:00AM or 4:00AM.

She said she would talk to that nurse. It appears she just wants me to tough it out. That would be fine if she would be willing to share the pain...but of course, that isn't going to happen.

More Even Later...

I finally talked to Doctor Christensen and explained that I needed an antibiotic or something to take the place of the Acyclovir I had been taking five times daily for the shingles. He prescribed Gabapentin which he said would take care of the inflammation that caused the pain.

We will see!

I pulled the file cabinet into the den and put the lamp on it. All that leaves to put back where it belongs is the printer table and printer. But there was no way I could move that. I did get the vacuum out and  vacuum up some grass in the den.

About dinner time, I called Sally to see if she wanted to go somewhere for dinner. I had not had lunch and only had a breakfast bar and coffee and Chai Latte for breakfast. She agreed and I suggested we go to the Dairy Queen for their $7.00 special. She was agreeable for that. It's always very good.That's what we did. I got back to Caney a little late for Stephen. The dinner took longer then we thought. He was going to be here at 7:30PM and I was 20 minutes later then that. I hated that but he still seemed agreeable.

After he left, I took my cold bath and put my pajamas on and decided to go to bed shortly. It's 9:08PM now. A little past my regular bed time.

 

 

No comments: