Sunday, November 23, 2008

Especially Big Day

This will be an especially big day. This morning I speak at church, then we have our annual Thanksgiving dinner. After that, I will do my notes and go to the hospital to relieve my niece who stayed with my sister during church so my brother-in-law could go home and sleep. He stayed with my sister last night. I will stay with her tonight.

They have begun her therapy and of course it is very painful. They are giving her pain meds, which further confuse her and they are fearful that she will try to get out of bed in the night and re-break her hip. So someone has to stay nights with her. I don't know how long this will go on. And... I don't know how long by brother-in-law and I can keep this up.

She is back in her room now and will be there a day or two then they will send her to skilled nursing for two weeks.

6 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Hope she recovers soon, I know it is hard on all of you -- including her most of all. Will hold good thoughts for you and your family.

Judy said...

Hi Margie, I sure hope she continues to improve. It is not fun to sit at the hospital all night. My father broke his hip and was in the hospital for a long time. We took turns sitting with him and he kept us all up all night every night plus himself. She sounds like she is doing well compared to how my father was.

Margie's Musings said...

Not really, Judy. My brother-in-law said she was terribly active last night and he finally had to call the nurse for help. They are so afraid she may try to get out of bed and fall again.

Latane Barton said...

Margie,
Have you checked out Paula's blog on caregiving? It focuses mainly on spousal caregiving but is helpful to all who care for those they love. It's http://spousalcare.blogspot.com

Beth said...

Margie, I will surely keep all of you in my prayers. I know how difficult this must be for all of you, and I do hope she will heal quickly and be able to get off those pain meds soon. I know from taking care of my Mama (with ALS) for so long how hard it can be.

Margie's Musings said...

It was a rough night. She tries to pull out her IV and her catheter. I don't know what my brother-in-law will do when he gets her home. She has early onset Alzheimer's disease and now this broken hip. He has recently been diagnosed with non Hodgkin's Lymphoma and has a doctor's appointment in Bartlesville to see if it has progressed any. Then, if not, they will check it out again in six months. the doctor is trying to avoid a horrendous surgery for him.

I will stay with her again Tuesday night. We are doing every other night. Their daughter stays days with her. They have another daughter in Wisconsin and two sons...one in Rogers and one here but they never hear from them.