Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Quieter Day

This should be a quieter day. I know my daughter is going to be out at church this morning to begin decorating for the Hanging of the Greens on Sunday. I may go out to help her after I get my house cleaned. I have an appointment out there at 1:30 to meet the Superintendent of Schools from Independence. He wants to talk to me about their need for school renovation in Independence. They really are in dire need of help with their schools but their school bond issue has failed three times. The reason is they have shot themselves in the foot.

Several years ago, they passed a huge bond issue to renovate their Memorial Hall. Then they passed another to build a new swimming pool. Then they passed one to renovate their library and finally they passed one to build a new sewage disposal plant. All these projects are being taxed at the same time. Of course property owners are in rebellion over it and will not pass the school bond issue. You really can't blame them.

Why he wants to talk to me is beyond me. I live in Coffeyville where we built a Community Elementary School five years ago. It is a wonderful school with all the elementary grades in one building. But we have an electric utility plant here that helps pay for that school. They do not have that in Independence so it would fall on property owners to finance it. Taxes in Montgomery County have more then doubled the past six years as it is. When we bought this house six years ago, the taxes were $770 a year. Now they are over $1300.

So, no, even through they desperately needs school renovation in Independence, they probably will not get it. But that still doesn't answer the mystery of why he wants to talk to me. Well, I guess I'll find out at 1:30 this afternoon.

By the way, they put my sister in skilled nursing yesterday afternoon so we do not have to stay with her anymore...they say.

4 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Will be interesting to see what he has on his mind, won't it?

Margie's Musings said...

Yes, indeed.

Beth said...

Margie, I'm glad that things have settled down a bit for you and that your sister was doing well enough to move to the skilled nursing facility. And I'm relieved that you and your brother-in-law can now get a little more rest. Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

Margie's Musings said...

Thanks, folks.