Sunday, April 12, 2009

Some Things Just Don't Work Out

Christina, Kyle and Mia came yesterday evening and as soon as I could finish up dinner, I got it on the table. The minute they walked in the door, I knew there was going to be a problem. Mia is two and a half and is wired. And she's not just wired some of the time. She is wired all of the time. From the time she walked through the door, she never stopped moving. She ran, wiggled, and never stopped. During dinner, which she only barely touched, one or the other of the kids had to take her outside and let her run around the yard. At 7:00 they decided to try to put her to bed and she began screaming at the top of her lungs. Nothing they did would settle her down. She was all over the place and screaming at the top of her lungs. I never had a child like that so I was little or no help at all. Finally in desperation at 7:30, they decided to go back home. I felt so sorry for them. They stayed two hours. After driving three hours to spend the weekend.

What does one do with a child like that? Christina said every night is like that. At home they put a TV in her room and she watches a movie until she goes to sleep.

Our daughter, Leslie and her husband, John, and Jeromy, their son and his girl friend, Cathy, are coming for Easter dinner today. So I will have six instead of the expected nine.

I talked to Leslie last evening and they got most everything moved in the new house. They have a lot to do yet. They need to hang pictures and unpack some of their belongings. They will likely eat and run. That's fine. They have to eat somewhere and it's unlikely they could find a restaurant seat opening on Easter anyhow. I am happy to have them in what time they can spare.

It is going to be a rainy Easter here.

4 comments:

ChuckFu said...

Well sounds like you had fun, Braxton has those spells everyonce in a while 3 hours till he fell asleep, and handling him just made it worse. One must be thankful you got to see them, I have not yet.

Linda said...

Margie, I feel sorry for the parents of this little girl, and of course I feel bad for the child. These situations are hard for both parents and child to work through, and hard for grandparents to watch.

Judy said...

I would be like you Margie. I never had one do that either. I know you felt bad that they had to leave and drive all the way back home. I am sure your daughter was glad to get to see you and have dinner with you all.

Margie's Musings said...

She was our granddaughter, Judy. My grandchildren are all grown up and now we have greats. Mia is a great.