Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My Flowers.


We love flowers and flowering shrubs. We have planted some everywhere we live.

My Rose of Sharon here started to bloom yesterday. They are always just covered with blooms and they will grow anywhere. I dug them up when they were less then a foot tall in a friend's walk. Two of mine came from starts my own Rose of Sharon's put out. I planted them in a flower bed for a year until they grew large enough to re-plant.

When they filled in this lot before they built this house on it, they filled it with rock first and then brought in dirt for the top. My neighbors tell me everything that has been planted here has died. I have planted Miniature Roses that died (2), Lilac bushes (2), Wegelia (2) and a Spirea (1). Now a Yellow Tipped Juniper is dying. The Rose of Sharon are all thriving. The Clematis does well every year. I have a Spirea that is making it thus far. I see the Crepe Myrtle is doing well. One can hardly kill them. I cut these to the ground last winter.

My Hybrid Iris did fine. The Jonquils did well. The squirrels ate all the Tulip bulbs though. The Tiger Lilies are doing well too. I plant Geraniums each year in baskets with Spikes and Asparagus and they do fine. I also have a bed of them in front of the little fence that hides the trash can. Next to the garage, I have flowers. They are Inpatients. As long as I water everything in the morning, they live. If I don't they wilt and die almost immediately. It has been well over 90 degrees this week and is forecast for that all week.

The Weeping Willow tree we planted four years ago and it has thrived. Look how it has grown and we brought it home with us from Lowe's in Bartlesville in the back of Bob's Ranger pickup.

The tomato plants are not doing well hanging upside down. Bob used old dirt instead of new potting soil. We have three very small tomatoes on them but they are very small. Next year, I will plant them in fresh new soil.

I love flowers and flowering shrubs but they take a lot of care.

3 comments:

Judy said...

Your flowers are very pretty and I love the weeping willow tree. We used to have one in the yard when I was a child and we played under it all the time. Your picture brought back memories of that tree. I have heard several people say that those tomatoes in those hanging things do not grow very well. I have not tried them though.

Linda said...

As I would have expected, everything neat as a pin.

Margie's Musings said...

Thanks, Linda, I try.