Sunday, June 21, 2009

Open letter to the president of our church

President Steve Veazey
1001 W. Walnut
Independence, Missouri 64050-3562

Dear President Veazey,

I am Margie Miller. I have just recently been notified that the position of archivist for Ron Romeg has been eliminated. I am a long time member of John Whitmer Historical Association and am well aware of how valuable Ron is to the historical community. This is a plea that you reconsider your decision to eliminate his job.

I am a lifetime member of the church and a tithe payer as well. I am sure the church is suffering from the effects of the recession as are many other churches and businesses. I realize some employees will have to be dismissed and that is a tragedy but Ron is much too valuable a person for his job to be one that is eliminated.

I do not know if you are aware that Ron is the president of the Mormon History Association and that association plans to have their conference in May of 2010 in Independence, Missouri. Historian attendees will be very upset to learn that their new president is no longer associated with the church archives. He has been a very valuable resource over the years for information about the church. Just last year, he gave the Restoration Studies Symposium a wonderful tour of the archives.

He has been of inestimable value in helping to break down the barriers that have existed between the various factions of the Restoration Movement..

Please reconsider this decision.

Sincerely

Margie Miller, pastor
Crossroads Community of Christ

2 comments:

Judy said...

Sounds like this person is valuable to you all and I hope they pay attention to your letter Margie. I enjoyed reading about the wedding as well and sounds like you all had a good Father's Day.

Margie's Musings said...

We did, Judy! Yes, an archivist in a church concerned with history is very vital. I can't understand why they would even think about letting him go.