Friday, July 24, 2009

Tonya's Experience

I have just gone through a terrible experience and would like to share it. I have a feeling I’m not alone in my experience.

On May 27, having just been released from the hospital and on my way home, I stopped at a local gas station to buy gas. I gave the cashier my debit card to pay for my gas and there was a young man there at the same time that was being refused gas because he had presented a fake ID. The young man was an African American. The cashier called the young man an inappropriate ethnic name and told him to get his black *** out of the store. I stepped up and corrected her and told her she shouldn’t be talking to anyone that way, especially an African American. She then told me to mind my own business and get my black *** out of the store too.

She made a lot of racial statements and got upset and was cursing. I told her I would leave as soon as she gave me my debit card but she kept it and put it on her clip board. I grabbed it back and turned to leave and her sister, who was also there, took it back. Then she called the police. When the police arrived they asked me to wait outside while they took her statement. Then they came out and told me I was being arrested for disorderly conduct. They would not let me make a statement. The police had my debit card and they would not give it back to me either. Needless to say, I was extremely upset.

When we arrived at the police station I attempted to explain my point of view but they were not interested in hearing it. Three different officers told me to “shut the F*** up”.

At my trial on Monday, July 17th, I pled not guilty.

I had witnesses that gave me their names and were to have backed up my account but they did not show up at the trial. The African American citizens of this community are intimidated by the police here and were afraid to come forward. I asked the judge to watch the surveillance tape so he could see that the clerk shoved me first and he did allow that. I attempted to tell my side of the story but the judge said “You had your time to speak and now it’s my time to judge”. He found me guilty. I was fined $145 plus court costs of $65.

I admit I was angry and said some things I probably shouldn’t have but when you are an African American in this society, you have to take so much hostility from some of the community that it is hard to always remain calm. But, I was not disturbing the peace but was trying to take up for a fellow citizen who was being verbally abused. The clerk had no right to try to keep my debit card and the police had to right to take it either. I had a right to give my own statement as well. But my rights were disregarded.

If any of you have had similar experiences, please share them so that eventually changes can be made in our community and we can all be treated with respect.

Sincerely,
Tonya

4 comments:

Sylvia K said...

I've never had an experience that horrible in spite of being a white woman who was married to an African American in the 60s and I'm from Texas, that being said, I do know that these things happen -- particularly in that part of the country as well as the deep south. The worst that happened to me/us was being refused a room in a motel when we were driving from Texas to CA. It is disgusting, it's sad, it's heartbreaking but it is a fact. I keep hoping each year that things will get better, but obviously they're not or are at least not as quickly as we'd like them to. I hurt for Tonya and for the African Americans everywhere that are subjected to this type of treatment -- along with those of us who stand up for them.

Margie's Musings said...

Me too, Sylvia. I know she probably got upset and said some things out of anger but we don't have to go through all the C*** they have to endure either.

patsy said...

if you were a black person you probably have been dead.maybe you could see a lawyer and take them to civil court.

Betty said...

Unfortunately there are far too many African Americans who have similar stories to tell.

Good letter.