Saturday, May 22, 2010

A Little Better

Last night was a little better, although before bedtime he tried to get out of bed three times. I told him over and over that he was going to hurt himself since he was catheterized. John, my son-in-law got him settled down temporarily. Then he really got agitated. Finally, I called Hospice and talked to a nurse. She suggested a couple of pills in the emergency kit to calm him down and they worked. He slept pretty well after that although I got up three times during the night to give him more roxinol. At least I didn't have to half carry him into the bathroom. I didn't need to wake John either and I finally got smart and figured out that I could carry water to his mouth with a straw. That was very helpful.

Today, our elder son will be here with his younger daughter. They must steel themselves for what they will see as a huge change in him. I will try to get a hospital gown over him to cover his chest which is covered with cancer lesions.

It has been rough today. He continues to try to get out of bed. If he manages that he will simply slide out of bed and perhaps break a bone. I have given him the Lorazepan twice today to calm him.

Keith has gone to Wal Mart to pick up the meds. He found that Bob is not in their system under Hospice and he just went ahead and paid for the medicine.

I hope he is quieter this evening. We have to watch him all the time.

What a horrible way to die!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad things were a little better for you. I know this has to be so frustrating and such an adjustment in such a short time. Maybe, since it is the weekend, you can get some rest and let some of the others watch him for a while. Just keep in mind to take care of yourself as much as possible. Love and hugs and prayers.

Margie's Musings said...

Thank you Judy. I will try.

clairz said...

Thinking of you, Margie--you and your family.

ChuckFu said...

Thank you, Clairz.

Sylvia K said...

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I, too, hope you can get some rest, Margie, this has to be so draining your energy.

Love and hugs to you,

Sylvia

Margie's Musings said...

Thanks all...and all of you who sent birthday cards..thanks.

He has 79.