Monday, September 5, 2011

Holiday Monday

It's 57 degrees outside this morning. What a welcome relief from all that heat this summer. I opened two windows and will air out the house. I hope the cool weather lasts. I fed Slinky out on the patio this morning and he loves it too. After it gets lighter I will put on a sweater and jeans and take him for a walk.

I did not want to make this holiday just another day. Bob and I always had a cookout and invited the kids when he was alive. Every holiday was special for him and an excuse to have the kids over for dinner. I have very little food in the house right now but the kids are having a party for Leslie's classmates anyhow. So I was going to be alone. I called Bob A. last night and asked him what his plans were. He was going to finish his mowing. I need to finish my weeding today since I am planning to clean Leslie's house tomorrow. But we decided to go over to Joplin and eat at the Crackerbarrel after we get our yards finished. He's alone too. His daughter and her family went to Clay Center to see his family. Of course, my sister, his wife, is in the Winston Unit at Windsor Place, the nursing home, with Alzheimer's Disease.

After we eat, we'll walk around the mall. I don't believe he's been over there since just after the tornado leveled a third of the city. We have to drive through the damaged area to get to the mall.

More later....

Got my flowerbed done. Bob A. will be by after he checks on my sister.

Well, Bob A. picked me up about 10:45 and we left for Joplin. There's some new building going on over there now..thank goodness. It still looks pretty barren though. We ate before going to the mall and had a very nice lunch at Cracker Barrel.

At the all he bought two pair of shoes. One pair are dress shoes and the other walking shoes. I didn't need a thing and so only paid for my lunch.

I enjoyed the trip and I think he did too. We have a common concern for my sister and have known one another for over sixty years. We are just friends though and at our age we can easily keep it at just friends.

Now I will either read or watch TV. It is 3:45.

No comments: