Sunday, September 11, 2011

Nine Eleven

I remember that day like it was yesterday. Bob and I were living in Independence, Kansas and watching Good Morning America when they were about to cut to commercial and Charlie said, "Hey, cut back to this window. Something just happened here. A plane just flew into the World Trade center.

At first they thought it might be an accident like the day the plane flew into the Empire State Building. But then the second plane hit and they knew it was a terrorist attack.

We watched it all day even after the towers fell. Horrified.

Later that next day, Bob, who had been volunteering for the Red Cross for twelve years, was deployed. He had had 13 weeks chaplain training in the late 1980's and was able to join with the SAIR group of chaplains that specialized in airline disasters. He stayed four weeks in the fall, arriving the day after the disaster. Then he was called back in January for four more weeks. It was a traumatic experience but he handled it like a pro. He was especially impressed with the grief dogs that came in and laid their heads in the laps of those grieving.

More later...

This morning at church, we commemorated the day and prayed for the survivors. We also prayed for peace. Our world will never fully recover until we have peace.

Afterward eight of us went out to eat together. Then I came home and began my letters before the Alzheimers Support group met at 2:30. I attended that until 4:00 and then came home to feed the animals and finish this blog.

Tonight I will attend the Living the Questions group at Howard and Judy's. Now I hope to get the letters finished after I finish the blog. There's an opening at Windsor and I called Cyndi. Her mother is over at Ponca City and they are not happy with her care over there. Maybe they can move quick enough to move her to Coffeyville to Windsor Place's Winston Unit.

2 comments:

Sylvia K said...

I think that for most of us who watched that day unfold on TV we will never forget, and like you, the memories for me are as vivid as they were that day!

Sylvia

Margie's Musings said...

Yes, that's true, Sylvia