Monday, December 5, 2011

Ah Monday!

It's Monday...thank goodness. This will be a fairly quiet day. I'm ready for one!

We had some excitement last night after the Living the Questions group. I stayed to help Karan clean up and while I was visiting with Bobby and her, suddenly she said "Bobby, turn off that lamp..it's smoking!" He turned to look at the lamp and turn it off and at the same time she turned and he then looked at a reflection in the glass doors next to the lamp and there was a fire on the desk! We ran over to the desk where she had had a candle burning all evening. It had burned down to the candle ring and caught the scarf on fire. Bobby ran over to try to smother it and I shouted, "Karan get water!" It quickly spread and I picked up a decoration next to the fire and Karan threw the first large cup of water on it and went to get another cup. About that time, the smoke alarm went off. We were about to get it out and when she threw the second cup on the fire and it finally went out. There was water everywhere though and Bobby's beautiful antique desktop was scorched. We got a roll of paper towels and worked on getting the water cleaned up off their laminated dining room floor and the desk for the next forty five minutes.

Bobby said, "thank goodness you stayed, Margie! If you hadn't been here, one of us would have been in the bedroom and the other in a shower." The house might have burned down and we might have died of smoke inhalation." That fire was quickly spreading. Later I got a sponge and cleaned the wall behind the desk that had been scorched. We were all very grateful that we got it out before there was any more damage.

I got home about 11:00.

I had Slinky in the garage. When I got home I let him out to pee and then wanted to get him back in the garage. He does not like the garage! It was 20 degrees outside but 40 degress in the garage. He did go in but he barked off and on all night.

I'm going to the doctor this morning with Bob A., my brother-in-law. He is having a consultation about surgery for his acid reflux. It is getting really bad. He had a CT scan last week and many other tests and they found that part of his stomach is now up above his diaphram. He has been pretty miserable the past couple of months. I suggested he should go to a gastroenterologist for the surgery and not use the GP surgeon. He has one in Bartlesville that does his colonoscopies each year. He wants to get a second opinion. I guess there are two ways to deal with that surgery. In the first method the surgeon stretches the stomach back down where it belongs and wraps the stomach around the esophagus. That requires a longer recuperation. In the second method, the stomach is stretched down even further and secured to some ligaments in the stomach area. He wants to learn which method this surgeon uses. The second is preferable. After the surgery, I want him to come over here to my second bedroom because I don't think he should be alone after the surgery. We will see. Slinky might be barking all night here while he is trying to get some rest.

Anyhow, that and my laundry and cleaning the bathrooms are all I have planned for today. I will bake my two cakes tomorrow morning and we will take them to Independence at 11:00 tomorrow. Perhaps we will eat at Big Cheese again afterward.

I am looking forward to being home tonight.

2 comments:

marlu said...

So thankful the incident turned out ok! A reminder that those candles are a danger and need to be put out before leaving a room or burning down to the base.

Margie's Musings said...

They really should be in glass to be safe.