Sunday, May 27, 2018

Sunday and Church

I slept pretty well last night. I woke at 2:00 and went to the bathroom and again at 4:00 when Missy began kneading on my back. I told her to stop it TWICE. Darn Cat! I finally just got up at 4:00 and dressed and got myself ready for church. I fed Missy and myself but, wouldn't you know, she peed on the clean bathmat AGAIN.  I may buy a larger litter box and try that. I get so tired of doing her mat laundry every two or three days.

She's back on my bed again now. ...sleeping.

I went out and watered the flowers this morning. It was very hot yesterday and I figured they needed to be watered.

Bob will drive today. He has his banana nut bread in the oven. Phyllis is back in Kansas City with her family this weekend. We will probably have another small congregation again because of the holiday.

I am taking another book for the adult class to discuss if they want to study. Today we take up the last study in the church's study material. This is another of Brian McLaren's books called "A Search for What Makes Sense". His books always make us think. It's never wise to just accept theology the church (any church)  presents. We have to learn to think for ourselves and decide what we can accept since today's world is very different from the one in the early medieval world when these scriptures were canonized.

I learned years ago that much of the teachings of Jesus and the scriptures were metaphorical...meant to teach an unlearned citizenry a lesson....not to be taken literally. I have also personally discarded the concept of the Trinity....it is not to be found in scripture. It was fourth century theology. I believe in God and that Jesus was the son of God...just as we are the daughters and sons of God. I also believe in the spirit of God ...that still small voice that tries to lead us in the best way by persuasion,,,not coercion.   I believe we have our free will...free to choose our own way or the way of the still small voice of God. I agree with Crossan on this.


 Image may contain: 1 person, eyeglasses, suit and text

But that's just me. We all have to use our brains to decide what we can accept. After all, God gave us our brain too. So much for my personal theology. :)

More later...

Sure enough, it was a holiday weekend and the congregation was smaller. Afterward Rick and Carmen went to "Just Us" with Bob and me. We had a nice lunch.

After that, I came home and did my congregational newsletters!

My second cousin called while I was working on those and said she and her dad, my cousin's widower, were in the area decorating graves and wanted to drop by to visit after they finished. I will be glad to see them again. They come once a year to decorate graves and they usually drop by here.

I will get back to this later...

Everett and Tricia came pretty quick and I called Bob A to come visit with them too.

They left after thirty or forty five minutes. They had a ways to go to get back to Everett's sister's home. Tuesday they will leave for Houston. Everett's house was caught in last year's hurricane and
flood.  He is waiting for the county to buy his house.He had no flood insurance. It was good to see them every year.

I went out to Walmart and bought what few things I needed and I bought Missy a larger litter box. Maybe that will help keep the mats and floor clean. I am hopeful but I kept the old litter box...just in case.

Image may contain: people sitting, table, cat and indoor

It's almost 6:00 PM now. I want to watch 60 Minutes this evening.  I did take Missy out back for a while but it is 90 degrees this evening and I brought her back in after fifteen or twenty minutes. She is lying here at my feet resting right now.

After 60 Minutes, I will take my bath and get my PJs on and watch Amazon Prime until 9:00 PM. Then I will go to bed.

Guess what I discovered on Prime TV! All of the old Frasier shows. I just watched episode One. I haven't laughed so much in a year! It used to be my Bob and my favorite comedy show. It was a spinoff of "Cheers" and we never missed it,  I will enjoy watching an episode every evening..

So..good night  all! It's almost 9:00.


3 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

My theology has greatly evolved over the years as well :)

So weird about Missy...it's usually male cats that do that sort of stuff :( I remember when I had several cats ( 2 males and 1 female ) that I had to buy all sorts of Deterrent Sprays and what-have-you

Margie's Musings said...

Luckily, she just misses the litter box and hits the old mat under the litter box. I went out to Walmart this evening and bought a bigger one. We will see if that helps.

Donna. W said...

I like your theology and also that quote with the picture.