Saturday, August 15, 2020

Saturday and A Visitor

When I opened the front door this morning I found five cats/kittens  waiting for their breakfast. It was Scruffie, her two kittens and one of the yellow cats. They all seem very hungry since only one yellow cat came for supper last night.

I have had my breakfast and am ready for the day.

I slept well last night but had a strange thing happen as I was getting ready for bed last night The last thing I do before I go to bed is take my contacts out. I got the right one out just fine but could not find the left one. The left one is just a very strong contact Roger used to start my lazy eye 40 years ago. The right one is a bifocal. I pinched in my left eye trying to find that contact and get it out but it appeared to be gone. Once, years ago, I had one move around behind my eye and I had to have Roger, my optometrist, get it out. I guessed that was what had happened this time too.

Either that or when I took my bath and washed my face, I might have caught it with my washcloth.  But it was almost 10:00PM and there was no one to do that this time so I put some drops in that eye and went on to bed. The drops soothed the eye and I was able to sleep.  This morning I put the right contact in and started to put away the case and there on the pad in the cabinet, was the contact for the left eye. It was crisp by that time so I put some contact drops in the case and put the contact in there to re-hydrate. Later today I will be able to put it in the left eye. That was strange event number one.

Then I had a phone call last night from one of those adjustable bed companies saying I had won one of those adjustable beds and the woman asked me if I wanted one with the headboard that raised or one with the footboard that raised. I told her I really didn't want one at all. I told her my daughter had bought me a new box springs and mattress just before I moved into this apartment. She then said they would deliver me one of those really good pillows as a consolation prize. They had my address and wanted to know if I wanted it to be delivered at 9:00AM or 1:00PM today. I told her that 1:00PM would best.

When I hung up I thought how stupid that was of me. Then the phone rang again and a different woman wanted to confirm my delivery time as 1:00PM. I will be very careful not to open the door to anyone without some kind of documentation this afternoon...if the delivery comes at all. That was strange event number two.

If Nancy is feeling well today we are going to eat lunch out....probably at Eggberts here. She was sick half a day yesterday or she would have gone with me for lunch with Gay and Adele at Ane Mae's in Independence. I went by her house after I got back home and took her my half sandwich that I had had boxed up yesterday afternoon. It was a turkey sandwich and was very good but it was huge, and since they had cut it in half, I had it boxed up for Nancy.

More later...

Here's Octavia and her litter of five Cowboy Corgis. She sure looks tired. It had been a rough night for her.


Image may contain: dog

 That's the number she ended up with. Aren't they cute little critters!!

I was able to put my left contact in after it re- hydrated.  That worked out.

Nancy hasn't called yet so I don't know whether she is up to lunch or not. I don't want to call her since I may wake her up.

More later..

I tried to call Nancy  about 10:00AM but I was unable to reach her. The phone rang 6 times and then went to voice mail. So I  tried again in about an hour and this time I reached her. She does want to eat out so we will go to Eggberts here. I have that appointment at 1:00PM so I don't want to get too far away. I will pick her up at noon. Then we can be back by 1:00PM just in case that woman comes.

Then at 2:00PM or so, Krystal and her daughter will come to mow. We are forecast for rain this afternoon and I hope to get the yard done before rain starts...if we get it. They have hard time forecasting  southeast Kansas weather.

More later....

Nancy and I did go to Eggberts for lunch. Then I took her home. I had Krystal coming to mow and after that, a woman came to try to sell me a Easy Rest Adjustable Bed. Of course I wasn't about to spend $3,000 on a "sleep System" but for listening to her sales pitch they will send me one of their foam pillows. It will take 90 days to get it but what the heck!

Krystal mowed and when it is cooler I will trim.

I did get my book today. It is "Donald Trump and his Assault on Truth". It was written by the Washington Post Fact Checker Committee.  I barely started it before Diane, the sales woman came. She was here 2 1/2 hours and certainly earned her salary. Of course, I was not going to spend $3,000 for an Easy Rest adjustable bed. Leslie bought me a new box spring and mattress just before I moved over here. It's what they call a "flat bed" but it's a great set. I am sure not going into debt for an adjustable bed.

I got my cake baked for the First Christian Church in Independence before she came and even got it iced. They are starting their free dinners on Tuesday. I will run it over to the church tomorrow and put it into the frig freezer over there. I will see if Nancy wants to go too just for the ride.

I watched what was left of the CBS news after all that. I will go back to reading my book after the news. Then I will take my bath at 7:00PM.

Four or five cats came for supper. Scruffy, both her kittens and Big Yellow Tom and the yellow adolescent cat  came to eat and drink the clean water I put out there.

I plan to go to bed at 9:00PM or so. It's been a busy day.

Tomorrow I will trim the yard. Then I will watch the Toronto Canada church service at 11:00AM

4 comments:

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

Those contact lens can end up in some strange paces. I'm glad you found yours and hope it rehydrates well.

That phone call about them bringing a pillow to your home was strange. They were really pushy, weren't they.

Earlier this year I was dusting/wiping down a door frame in the hallway near the bathroom and bedrooms. I don't do this very often at all, but occasionally. As I looked at the frame I saw something weird on it. I looked at it and wiped with the cloth and it had been a soft contact lens stuck to the frame, about waist high. It was crispy. I haven't worn my contacts for several years, and both of our kids who wore soft contacts have been out of the house for years. It's a mystery to me how that contact lens stayed stuck there for years and how I missed it dusting for such a long time.

A kind of funny lost contact lens story happened to my friend years and years ago. She had had an argument with her boyfriend and got something on her contact, put the contact in her mouth to wet it (she was a teenager and didn't think it about that possibly being a problem), she was still sniffling and doing that after crying air gulp and she accidentally swallowed her contact. That contact was lost forever.

Margie's Musings said...

Wow! That could have infected her eye with bacteria!

My contact did re-hydrate. And I put it back in my eye.

pat m said...

Be careful they may try to charge you a delivery fee.

Galla Creek said...

Well, you earned that pillow if you get it. You had to listen forever.

Hope she wore a mask.