Friday, September 11, 2009

A Successful Party

Our covered dish party last night was a real success. Only one person did not come. So I had twelve here in my small house. We put six at the dining room table, four at TV trays, and two at the breakfast bar. After everyone left, I rinsed the dishes and loaded the dishwasher. I still had most of the stainless and all of the dessert dishes to wash and dry in the sink by hand and we went to bed shortly before 10:00...exhausted.

We had five six white people and six black people...all great people. We have developed several good friendships over this entire time. After dinner we share something of ourselves. The first question was just about how long we have lived in the community but the other was whether or not we were aware of "white privilege". That elicited a lot of comment. We white people have no idea how privileged we really are.

But two of my dearest friends are not connected with the organization at all. One is the women who worked at the cable office with my daughter twenty years ago and her husband who was our mailman when we moved here in this house six years ago. Whenever I see them, I get a huge hug. They are such neat people!

But after I cleaned up after the dinner, after everyone left, I was thoroughly exhausted. I took an Aleve and a bath and went to bed. But it was a success!

No comments: