Thursday, October 22, 2015

Thursday and Breakfast

This morning I am supposed to meet Karan and Joyce for breakfast but last week Karan didn't come so it was just Joyce and me. I haven't heard from either of them this morning, and Marilyn is in Grease or Turkey, so I don't know whether either of them will be there.

I have e-mailed Joyce. I just called Karan and she is going to be there this week. Now, if I just hear from Joyce, we'll be ready. I really get tired of being the "communications" person in our little group.   We are having our Living the Questions group Sunday evening at Richard and Mona's home and I always have to send out notifications of that too.  I have the DVDs for that group so I guess that's why it became my responsibility.

I may see the doctor next week. I have been having some strange symptoms. I ache between my shoulder blades and sometimes I have a pressure feeling in my chest. It's probably nothing but I have not had that problem before so I may check it out.

Today we will have chicken strips, baked potatoes, a veggie and a salad for lunch. I will make some pudding and we will have some of our cookies with that for dessert.

More later...

We had a good lunch and I read all afternoon.  It was a very good lunch.. Bob came over to do  some laundry and then went to the Braum's store to get milk and bread there.

I watched some of Hillary's testimony and she was so controlled and calm in the face of rude and unrelenting partisan questioning. Her statement:


"The terrorist attacks at our diplomatic compound and later, at the CIA post in Benghazi, Libya on September 11, 2012 took the lives of four brave Americans: Ambassador Chris Stevens, Sean Smith, Glen Doherty, and Tyrone Woods.

I am here to honor the service of those four men, the courage of the Diplomatic Security agency and the CIA officers who risked their lives that night, and the work their colleagues do every single day all over the world...

I was the one who asked Chris to go to Libya as our envoy. I was the one who recommended him to be our Ambassador to to the President. After the attacks, I stood next to President Obama as Marines carried his casket and those of the other three Americans off the plane at Andrews Air Force Base. I took responsibility. And, as part of that, before I left office, I launched reforms to better protect our people in the field and help reduce the chance of another tragedy happening in the future...

We need leadership at home to match our leadership abroad. Leadership that puts national security ahead of politics and ideology. Our nation has a long history of bipartisan cooperation on foreign policy and national security. Not that we always agree -- far from it -- but we do come together when it counts.

As Secretary of State, I worked with the Republican chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee to pass a landmark nuclear arms control treaty with Russia. I worked with Republican Leader, Senator Mitch McConnell, to open up Burma, now Myanmar, to find democratic change. I know it’s possible to find common ground, because I have done it.

We should debate on the basis of fact, not fear. We should resist denigrating the patriotism or loyalty of those with who we disagree. So I am here. Despite all the previous investigations and all the talk about partisan agendas, I am here to honor those we lost, and to do what I can to aid those who serve us still.

And my challenge to you, members of this Committee, is the same challenge I put to myself.

Let’s be worthy of the trust the American people have bestowed upon us. They expect us to lead. To learn the right lessons. To rise above partisanship and to reach for statesmanship. That’s what I tried to do every day as Secretary of State. And it’s what I hope we all strive for here today and into the future."



No comments: