Friday, December 27, 2019

Friday and a Wild Cat in the Apartment

I had quite an experience this morning. I went out to feed the feral cats and one of them ran into the apartment. I spent the next twenty minutes trying to catch it. It went completely wild and knocked pictures off the wall ran across my printer, spilled my coffee on the server and broke the tail on my ceramic hen. I chased it to catch it and it gave me quite a scratch. Finally after closing off all the doors in the apartment...the bathroom and the second bedroom, I got it out from under my bed first with a mop. Then I closed that door. I finally took an afghan and caught it by one back leg and carried it that way to the front door and took it outside and turned it loose. I was exhausted by that time. I repaired the damage as best I could and hung the pictures back up again.

I have decided not to feed these wild cats anymore. I am going to look up "cat scratch fever" on the internet and I may go over to the clinic at Coffeyville for a shot or a prescription if that is going to be a problem.

More later...

I found that I could treat it myself with soap and water and an antibiotic ointment. I had some of that so I washed it real good with soap and running water and put that antibiotic ointment on it and a bandaid. I am going to go with that. What a morning!!

More later....

I went up to Independence KS (about 20 miles) and took my class newsletter up to the printing center at Four County Mental Health to be reproduced.  I need 64 copies (three pages on each side)  and they will also print the envelopes. I will fold each letter into threes and stuff them in the envelopes and add a stamp and send them off. This job done for another year when that is finished. This is my 22nd year doing that newsletter.

I read part of the evening and then watched some Amazon Prime  until bedtime. After my exciting morning, I was very tired. In fact, I took my bath at 7:00PM and went on to bed at 8:00PM.


7 comments:

marlu said...

What an experience! My husband is feeding some feral cats. I am going to show him this as a warning! They approach him now but I don't think they will get inside (I hope.) And . . .
a new use for an afghan! Please rest up now from your unpleasant incident!

Margie's Musings said...

Laurie, The coffeecake is a mix...an excellent mix. It is called Krusteaz...Cinnamon Swirl. I get it at our Coffeyville Kansas Walmart but I can't get it at the Independence Kansas Walmart store. I only add pecan to it. It is very simple but an excellent mix. Thanks for visiting my blog. I have been at it for many years.

Margie's Musings said...

And Marlu, it is good to see you back here. I hate to stop feeding the little critters. I started when I moved here to Caney last January. The first little gray cat was skin and bones and I felt sorry for her. A couple of months later she was fattened up quite a bit and when she came to eat she brought five little kittens. After they ate cat food, she laid down and let them nurse. There were four gray ones and one yellow one. The yellow tom cat came too so I am feeding 7 of them.

The kittens are 3/4 grown now. It was one of them that rushed into the apartment this morning. It was an exhausting experience trying to catch it.

They come early mornings and evenings to eat.

Donna. W said...

What an experience! I tried to catch a wild barn cat once and it bit through my fingernail into my finger. It was my own fault, grabbing a wild cat. You can bet I never did that again.

Margie's Musings said...

Hi Donna! I got that scratch trying to grab it while I had it trapped in a corner. That was a mistake! That's when I got the afghan. Even then it took my another fifteen minutes to finally grab it by a back leg. At least it could bite me that way.

Galla Creek said...

Wow, I think you should give up feeding them. Our neighbor feeds them. One came and bit a puppy we had. We took the pup to the vet. It has rabies from the cat. Larry and I had to take rabies shots. The pup did not bite us, but we handled it. It was an awful ordeal.

Margie's Musings said...

Wow, I never thought of anything buy cat scratch fever.