Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Cataract Surgery

Wednesday is the day of Bob's last cataract surgery. We will get up at 5:30, dress and do our thing and then drive to Bartlesville for his 7:00 surgery appointment. After the surgery, we will go eat breakfast at Eggberts.

I was sleeping soundly and the cat , Missy, woke me up from a sound sleep to come watch her eat from her bowl. I thought she wanted out but she didn't. Then I could not get back to sleep. I tossed and turned for an hour thinking about the day ahead. Since the first week in July when Bob had his first surgery, he has complained about not being able to see clearly. His glasses no longer are the correct correction for him to see. He has been able to read with them however. After today, he will not be able to read either in all probability. It will be four weeks before he is healed enough to get new lenses for his glasses. I dread those four weeks. It's not just having to put three drops in the eye four times a day for four weeks...that's not the worst thing. The worst thing is his constant boredom. Now he will not be able to read either.

When he is home, he has very few interests. He only belongs to the church and one other organization. That organization is having a workshop next week and he should have been registered for it but didn't. Yesterday, I asked him about the workshop and he said he thought such things were just do-good activities. I was appalled. What is the point of trying to improve our society if all we are doing is do-good activities.

When I expressed this, he had second thoughts and went to register for the workshop.

Bob works part time for FEMA. When he is home for any time at all, he expects me to entertain him. I am extremely busy. Right now besides my regular church work, I am helping to plan a class reunion for October, taking my elderly friend, Juanita, to her doctor's appointments, attending a monthly board meeting for the clinic, scrap booking, keeping house, and cooking. The first weekend in October, I will also be attending a Peace Colloquy. Besides that, I am co-chairing a Restoration Studies Symposium planned for next April. All this keeps me busy.

Once a week we go over to Sedan, where our daughter works, and take her to lunch. There's grocery shopping, yard work and car maintenance. Then there's staying on top of this blog and reading the others.

I do not have time to be bored and do not understand the concept. If I were to be bored, I would not depend on another person to alleviate my boredom.

Thanks for letting me vent here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband is much the same, I never have time to be board

Judy said...

I am never bored either. Blogging is a good way to vent. We all need to sometimes. I hope the surgery goes well. Does he have any men friends that he could do things with? That might help.

Margie's Musings said...

No, Judy, he doesn't. That's a part of the problem. Now that the second surgery is over he cannot see in either eye well. He has already begun complaining about that.

Sister--Helen said...

I found you from my Sister patsy's blog....We used to live in Caney and my son was born in Coffeyville in 82...My best friend Rhea King still lives there... small world!

patsy said...

my sister said the tomatoes she grew were hard too. i think it was the kind of plants she had.look for hertige seeds and grow your own sets next year.

Margie's Musings said...

Small world. We lived in Caney from 1969 until 1981. I wonder if we know anyone in common?

Beth said...

I do hope your husband's cataract sugery went well. I know it must be so frustrating for both of you when he can't see to read. Has he considered Books on Tape? Our little local library has a considerable collection, so you might want to check yours.
I'm like you...I simply cannot understand the concept of boredom.