Friday, March 23, 2012

Busy Friday

I went to Independence this morning for my 7:00 hair appointment. Afterward I went out to their Wal Mart to do my little bit of grocery shopping. While I was in the parking lot, I called Juanita to see how her life was going. She had had a disastrous week. Yesterday she had a panic attack and her granddaughter took her to the hospital where they discovered she had atrial fibrillation. They gave her the intravenous injection that restored her heart to it's proper beat. Then they referred her to a cardiologist in Bartlesville.

The trouble is, between her glaucoma and her other eye problem, macular degeneration, she can no longer drive. Her granddaughter has a very demanding job and is not sure she can get off work to take her to her Monday afternoon appointment. She was going to have to let her know. I told her I would take off Monday afternoon and take her to Bartlesville to her appointment. I can make up the lost time on Friday morning next week.

I called my boss and made the necessary arrangements and then called the doctor's office to learn just where the office was located. Then I called Juanita back and told her it was all arranged. She breathed a sigh of relief. It's not a big deal to me but it was a big deal for her. Bless her heart. She's 90 years old and everything is a huge deal to her anymore. She still lives at home with her two Shiatsu dogs.

Then I went out to see my sister at Windsor Place. She was asleep again but I stayed about twenty minutes. At least I got to see her.

Then I went to my doctor's appointment. He took my blood pressure and visited with me awhile. I will see him in July for my blood test for my thyroid. I was all set to argue with him about having canceled my mammography but he seemed to accept that I was not going to have any routine screenings at my age. According to the government's National Health Interview Survey, (of the Archives of Internal Medicine,) published in December of 2011, those over 75 no longer need those routine screenings. I am not having a colonoscopy either. I told him my philosophy for staying healthy was to stay as far away from hospitals and doctor's offices as possible and to keep an attitude that I was going to be healthy. He laughed at that and agreed.

As I was leaving the doctor's office my brother-in-law called and asked me to go to lunch with him. I agreed. It had been awhile since we had had Mexican food so that's what we had.

Tomorrow we will go to Joplin to the Olive Garden for soup and salad and walk the mall there. It's supposed to be a beautiful day. I am ready for a beautiful day.

I got my laundry done this morning and my house vacuumed too. Now I have to dust and clean the bathrooms.

No comments: