Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Yesterday's Tragedy

Over the weekend the family of one of our members lost their home and everything they own to a home fire begun as an electrical problem. The children lost their Christmas gifts as well. I spent yesterday morning before work trying to round up assistance for them. Today my daughter will get a gift card from our church for them to replace the clothing and toys the children lost. They have a three year old boy, an eleven year old girl and a 16 year old girl. The parent's clothing has just smoke damage. They had no insurance. They were renovating a mobile home, adding on two bedrooms and a bath and couldn't get insurance at that point.

I talked to the children's grandmother yesterday morning. She told me that on top of all that on Friday her son was driving up the road near our church and hit a puddle during the rain and went into the ditch where his car turned over several times. It took the jaws of life to cut him out of the car. The car was completely demolished. He was sent to the Joplin hospital where they had a plastic surgeon available. His nose was broken and he had facial cuts as well. She went to Joplin on Saturday and brought him home from the hospital. Of course, he aches all over. The only reason he wasn't killed is the car was an '89 Oldsmobile...a huge car. Now he is looking for an older cheap car or pickup to replace it.

I told the grandmother, who is our church member, if her family didn't have bad luck they wouldn't have any luck at all. We will do what we can to help.

That's why I didn't blog yesterday.

2 comments:

clairz said...

Margie, I'm glad that they have people like you to help them.

Margie's Musings said...

Thanks, Clairz, but I am not alone in this. My congregation is very mission oriented. If going to church and being a pew sitter was all there was to it, I would stay home.

But thanks anyhow