Sunday, November 10, 2019

Sunday and A Busy Morning

I slept well again last night but got up at 5:00AM. I not only have my coffeecake to bake and ice but also a cake for the First Christian Church in Independence. The coffeecake is finished and iced but the cake is still cooling. And the the can of icing has been in the frig the past two weeks and is pretty stiff. I have it setting in the warm oven with the door ajar hoping to soften it up so I can ice the cake when it cools. If that doesn't work I will have to open another can of icing to ice it.

I got up about 5:00AM because I knew I had a lot to do this morning. I want to leave here at 8:30AM and I hope to have the cake iced by then. It's only 7:30AM now so I have an hour to soften that icing and ice that cake. When I get it to church I will put it in the freezer there. Bob can pick it up on Tuesday when he takes the other cakes to Independence.

The cats were (as usual) hungry this morning. I filled all three bowls. I have found if I don't have enough separate bowls they growl at one another and menace one another to protect what they are eating,  I have opened quite a can of beans feeding these 2 cats and 5 kittens. And I am afraid mama cat may be pregnant again....either that or she has gotten fat. I fear she may have another litter of kittens this fall or winter. Caney doesn't have a shelter so the only way I can stop feeding them is just to stop feeding them and let them starve. I just can't do that.

At church this morning, we will have a report from Kelly on the costs of a new central air conditioning unit for the all purpose, classrooms, and kitchen area this morning at a short business meeting before the worship service. We need to start saving money for that before next summer. The unit is over 20 years old and just stopped working this fall. It is beyond repair this time. I believe it is the compressor.  We have another unit that serves the sanctuary, foyer and bathrooms. I hope that one holds up longer or we will have another major expense on top of this one.

We were to have a budget business meeting this morning but Leslie, who is our CFO has not had time to work out the budget. She has been so busy at work. All of our ministers are self sustaining. We will reschedule the budget meeting but at least with Kelly's report, we will have an idea of what we need to save before next summer.

More later...I need to check on the condition of that icing.

Putting that icing in the warm oven with the door ajar and the lid off worked beautifully. I got the cake cooled and iced and even labeled on the top of the plastic lid that it is a yellow cake with chocolate fudge icing. It's only 7:54AM so I have plenty of time. I will leave at 8:30AM to drive over to our church. It takes about 25 - 30 minutes.  I will freeze the cake when I get to church. Bob says Karan is going to do the same thing.  That will save him having to pick hers up. He will just have his and Phyllis' to bring on Tuesday and he will stop at our church (right on the way) and pick up mine and Karan's from the freezer there.

More later...

I left at 8:20AM for church. I took the cakes and put the big one in the freezer there. All but one piece of the coffeecake was eaten by the church school class. I was glad. I brought that one piece back home for Nancy. She loves it.

Kelly didn't have any figures..None of the air conditioning people would even give him a ballpark figure without actually seeing the area. So he will have to give that report at another day.

After church, Phyllis and I went to Great China  for lunch. We brought some of it back home for tomorrow.

When I got home I did the newsletters. They won't go out until Tuesday but I put them in the mailbox and put the flag up anyhow..

Kylie, my next door neighbor, came by and picked up her package. It came yesterday and I had picked it up for her so it would be safe. She had Suzanne call me to tell me she wanted me to do that. She came over to ask me herself on Thursday but that's when I went back to Coffeyville to meet with Bill Webb.

Later in the afternoon, while it was still nice, I mowed the front yard. It looks much better now. The tree across the street sheds it's leaves earlier then mine and those leaves blow across the street onto my yard. I tried to mow them last week but I was just too tired to get it done. I had more energy this afternoon.

But while pulling on the cord starting the mower, I tore a corner of my right forefinger nail off. It bled awhile but then when I finished the mowing I got out my nail clippers and trimmed it back so it wouldn't catch on something while it grows back. It was pretty sore until I did that. After I have my bath at 7:00PM,  I will put some antibiotic ointment on it and a bandaid. That should hold it while it grows back. Always something! First a bandage on my right toenail and now a bandaid on my right forefinger nail. Growing old is not for sissys!

It is 5:45PM right now. We are forecast for some snow tonight.. I don't expect that snow to happen though.

After 60 Minutes, I will take my bath. At 9:00PM I will go to bed.


No comments: