Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Another Point of View

Stephen Hawking, the British physicist, who is author of the best seller "A Brief History of Time" speaks only through a computer program operated through a cheek muscle. He has had ALS for 48 years. This is what he said to one interviewer lately.

"Q. Though you avoid stating your own political beliefs too openly, you entered into the health care debate here in the United States last year. Why did you do that?

A. I entered the health care debate in response to a statement in the United States press in summer 2009 which claimed the National Health Service in Great Britain would have killed me off, were I a British citizen. I felt compelled to make a statement to explain the error.

I am British, I live in Cambridge, England, and the National Health Service has taken great care of me for over 40 years. I have received excellent medical attention in Britain, and I felt it was important to set the record straight. I believe in universal health care. And I am not afraid to say so."

I just wanted to share that. Whenever we feel we have a had a bad life, we should remember this brilliant man.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/10/science/10hawking.html?WT.mc_id=GN-D-I-NYT-MOD-MOD-M201-ROS-0511-HDR&WT.mc_ev=click

More later...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Margie, We don't know how lucky we are. It sometimes takes seeing or hearing someone like this man to wake us up. I try to be thankful for my health every day. Hope things are good with you. I saw where you are having some painting done. My heat pump is out. I am so dreading calling the repair people because it will probably cost me a fortune. It seems there is always something with a house that needs repairing.

Margie's Musings said...

That's true, Judy. I was talking to my son in Germany this morning and he asked me what was happening in my life and I told him about the house, the mower and the air conditioner. He told me to take what I need from his account.

I won't tell him but I won't do that. That's his 'emergency" account.