Sunday, October 26, 2014

Sunday and Back Home Again

I am back home now and the Peace Colloquy was wonderful! There is so much we can all do to  eliminate poverty in the world. In 2014 we had reduced poverty by 1/2 in the world. By 2030 we hope to reduce poverty altogether. We have that capability now if we could eliminate war.  War uses the resources of the world that could be used to eliminate poverty and hunger.

A book I recommend everyone to read is "Toxic Charity". I read it before I went to the colloquy.  There are some types of charity that do more harm then good. This book has a lot of examples. For instance, some churches send groups of their congregation to some South American country to build a church and that becomes a problem for the village because they have to feed and house them while they build a church that is never used after the group leaves. That's just one example. We need to discover what they need before we send someone down there to build what they don't either what or need. It costs more money to send the team down there and that money could have been used more productively to dig a well or something they really need. 

When I got home, Missy, my cat, wanted to go outside in the dark. I definitely will not let her out in the dark. There is a strange animal that lives out there, a Marmot, and he was out there in our yard all afternoon. When I went out he ran into the drain in the yard. He looks like a large groundhog. I forget what they're called, You usually see them in Colorado. She has been crying to go out there ever since I got home. I let her out with me when it was light out there this afternoon.

Now I am ready to go to bed so I will continue tomorrow.

No comments: