Saturday, April 6, 2019

Saturday and The Peace Awards

It's been a huge day!  We had the celebration of twenty five years since the Temple was dedicated.  Then we came back and ate a sandwich and chips and peach tea. Then after we ate, we went back to the Temple for the rest of the celebration.  The place was packed. We heard the stories of everyone who had been a part of the building of the Temple. Then at one point, they asked us to share our stories with the one sitting next to us. Gerald was his name. He asked me my name and where I was from. I told him my name and that I lived in Caney, Kansas. He said he had once lived in Coffeyville and his father was the pastor of the church there. I asked him who his father was and he told me it was Louis Hancock. I was amazed. Louis Hancock was the pastor when I joined the church at 13. He baptized me and several other teens. He was the one who turned the church toward eleventh street instead of Washita and added a foyer and redecorated the building.  Gerald is 79 to my 83 so he was a child at the time. His mother's name was Helena and Louis and she were also our Zion's League leaders. We were both amazed at the coincidence.

Later, after the service was over, Leslie and I went to a Sonic and had a milk shake.

Then we went back to the auditorium for the service for the recipients of the peace awards. We got back to the RV in time to take our showers and get ready for bed. We were both very tired.

1 comment:

marlu said...

What an amazing coincidence! I enjoy your blog so much.