Thursday, March 18, 2021

Thursday and Another Busy Day

I slept until 6:30AM this morning and I had slept like a log. A text from Denise was what finally woke me up. I needed to be up anyhow. We will have another busy day. 

We meet with the funeral home at 10:30AM this morning. I am picking up Denise at 10:15AM. I am hoping Denise found his insurance papers when she cleaned his apartment yesterday morning. If not, we will need to go back to his apartment and find them.

I checked the cat situation and found four of them out there..Scruffie, (still very pregnant) Inky and Blondie and the neighbor's yellow cat. I put their food out behind my car and opened the garage door.They raced in and began eating. Of course only one was fed yesterday morning so unless the others found food somewhere else, they would have been very hungry. None were fed last evening since I was gone.

More later...

It's 8:41AM. I will go watch the "weather on the 8's" and the news. Then I will leave for Coffeyville at 9:40AM and go pick up Denise. That's about an hour.

More later...

Denise texted me that she was going to Bob's apartment. She gone there yesterday but had broken down and didn't get much done. I asked her to find his insurance papers. We will need those when we go to the funeral home.  She is at his apartment. I will pick her up there.  

I picked up Denise and we went first to the funeral home to schedule the date for the funeral. It will be outside under a canopy at the Spring Hill Church Cemetery northwest of Coffeyville at 2:00PM on March 31st..a Wednesday. That is located north of Dearing, Kansas (CR 3900) and on to CR 3000 and 7 miles east on that CR. 

(I had been charged $1951.63 for my Bob's cremation. But they are charging Denise $3,292.68 for her dad's. And that's with over a $2,000 discount.) I had arranged my Bob's cremation before he died by comparing charges between the two funeral homes . If you wait to do that after they die, it is always higher.

Next we went to Windsor to see if the Medicaid he used to have Phyllis in Windsor funeral home is going to take everything Bob has left. We learned that Phyllis's account is closed and the kids will owe nothing. 

Then we went to the bank and found the bank will need a death certificate to allow Denise to use his account to pay his bills. The funeral home will get those for her. We were told Denise had needed a durable power of attorney (specifically the medical) and that gives authorization for final disposition of everything. 

We stopped at Eggbert's for lunch and then from there went to US Cellular to find out how to have his cell phone turned off. They said to just let it go until April 7th and it would be off automatically.

From there we went to Bob's apartment to pick up my grandmother Moberly's antique clock that Bob was to give me this Wednesday. 

I left Denise there where her car was and came back home to Caney.

It was a long day but we got everything possible done. 

I called David, Denise's older brother, about 7:30PM and talked to him almost 2 hours.

Then I took my bath and went to bed.

1 comment:

Galla Creek said...

Dying is so complicated. I paid $1900 for Larry’s cremation. But that was after they deducted a small policy his mother had paid for him. I think it was $500.00. So you and I paid similar. That included obituary in paper and a few other things. Can’t afford to die. Embalmed burial is outrageous.