Saturday, August 28, 2021

Saturday and No Particular Plan

I slept well last night and was up shortly before 5:00AM, made my bed and dressed and got myself ready for the day. I am working on my breakfast now. I never did get the dusting done yesterday so I will work on that this morning. Of course, I will have to do some watering of the plants and flowerbeds. The heat is really getting to the plant in the back. I may have to toss it. It looks pretty scraggly. I also need to clean up the leaves in the back yard again when it gets light out.  I will do that before it gets hot today. I may do some raking and bagging in the front too. It depends on how early the heat sets in.

It's almost 6:00AM now and I want to go check "the weather on the 8's". They are expecting another hurricane in the south today. I believe they are calling it Ida. You couldn't pay me enough to live in an area where there are annual hurricanes are even floods. There are tornadoes in Kansas but I have never had to live through one and I am almost 86 years old.

Both Blondie and Scruff came for breakfast this morning. They really like that wet cat food Suzanne brought me.

I went out to Sonic later on this morning and bought a cherry limeade slush for my lunch. Then I went to the post office for stamps and out to Dollar General for toilet tissue and contact cleaner. I worked on the new puzzle for a couple of hours. It's a doozy!. Nothing sounds particularly good for lunch and it's 1:40PM now and 91 degrees . 

I ought to check how the flowers are holding up. I watered them this morning but its pretty hot out there now. 

The clock is not working and that's fine. Susan thought it was but the hands are too tight and they cannot move at all. I paid her the $65.00 he told me it would be so I guess that's for labor because he did work on it. He just couldn't get the old thing going. 

More later.. 

I read all evening after working on the puzzle for a couple of hours. I finished the last of the three books I downloaded from Amazon this week. It's almost 9:00PM now and I will go on to bed.

2 comments:

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

In the past I have had good luck bringing a hanging basket back to life in time for it to be pretty again when the weather cools down by trimming out the dead looking parts and setting the hanging basket on the ground for a while in a place where it doesn't get very much hot sun and keeping it watered only when the soil is dry. Many time my geraniums and petunias would renew themselves enough to be pretty again when the weather cooled down a bit all of the way until the first frost.

My son bought a home where he was stationed in Florida. It is a very nice home. No sooner than he bought the house, he found a position that he wanted at the Embassy at the Hague, Netherlands. So now he is renting out his house and has moved to Washington DC for training, and then will be going to live in the Netherlands.

Now I worry about his house whenever a hurricane comes, though my husband doesn't think this hurricane Ida will affect his home. I would not want to live where hurricanes come through. It is bad enough living where we can have tornadoes. A friend of ours had his whole house swept off of the foundation in a big tornado in 1967. His Mom and Dad were out of the house and he was at school. Their dog and house was gone. So I am a bit nervous about tornadoes just from knowing someone who had such an experience with them. I don't even like the bad thunderstorms we have been having this year, because our electric goes out at about the third thunder and lightning that we hear. I worry about our little old sickly dog getting too hot when our electric goes off. We have a little battery powered fan that we put near his bed when the electric goes out. His heart and liver are pretty bad now, but he still seems happy to be alive, but heat is very hard on him at this point.

It would cost a fortune, but I would really like to get a home generator that runs on natural gas for our house. It would be a big investment of money, but I think it would be worth it in our case. It is just plain dangerous when we lose electric in the winter. One year it was off for 4 days during and after a bad ice storm. We stayed home for the first two days but it got too cold and we had to go and stay with my daughter for two days and nights, who at that time lived closer to our house, but still had electric.

Margie's Musings said...

My daughter and her husband have a generator that burns propane. It has to set outside so they don't get carbon monoxide poisoning. But it keeps everything going when the weather is bad enough to lose their electricity.