Friday, September 10, 2021

Friday and Dusting

I slept pretty well last night and only woke up once for a trip to the bathroom..my regular routine since I am trying to drink more water. I go through at least one bottle of water a day..sometimes more. I also have crangrape juice every morning, one coffee and chai latte. Sometimes I have a cherry limeade slush from Sonic. I got hooked on those when I worked at Quality Motors back in the 90's.

I will dust the apartment today. After mopping and vacuuming on Thursdays I like to leave the dusting for the next day. I usually dust with a polish. My furniture was bought during the 70's when I worked at Blackledge Furniture Store here in Caney. So it is quite old but good. It is all Thomasville or Drexel so it is meant to last a lifetime and so far it has. Only the dining room table was made by Amish folks. That was something Bob wanted and I sold my Thomasville dining table to Bobby and Karan when we bought the Amish one.

I finished my latest book last night before I went to bed. I think I will work on that impossible puzzle today. I am tired of reading.

I will go turn on the TV and watch "the weather on the '8s"  now and then check on the cats.

So more later... 

It looks like we have a chance for rain two days next week. Also, both cats came for breakfast and even though they didn't seem to like the new canned cat food in the past, they cleaned up all the bowls this morning. I only have one can left now so I will start feeding them the dry food again. I hope they will eat it now.

I am thinking of going to Coffeyville this morning to look for a birthday gift for John, my son in law. I have an idea for something he will appreciate. I should have got it Wednesday but I just put it off. His birthday is the 14th so by the time I would buy it on next Wednesday, it would be too late.

I have been working on the puzzle again. It's a doozy! I have found very few new pieces. Maybe five in an hour.

I'm going to go to Independence and buy a gift for John's birthday now. 

I got John's gift and put it in the mail today.I hope it gets there on his birthday...which is Tuesday.

Now I guess I will go back to the puzzle. 

I worked on the puzzle for an hour and only found two pieces. This one is really difficult. I may just put it away and return it if I can't get it worked by Wednesday when I go to Bunco.

Then I read for awhile. It's 4:40PM now and I will go watch the news. I just had my supper banana. I will be giving blood on Wednesday morning when I go to the doctor and will be donating blood in the afternoon on Thursday here in Caney. So I want to get some oranges and some Oreo cookies. That will add substance to my blood and maybe I won't be deferred this time. They really need my blood since it's 0 positive.

Now,back to the news. 

I am really disgusted with many of the Republican party….my party. The president finally did what needed to be done by issuing a federal mandate for all citizens to get vaccinated. This is not a game or a political question. This is a matter of life or death for all of us. Now we have the Delta variant as well as the original covid virus to deal with. And now even those who have been fully vaccinated can get the Delta variant. There will be other variants developing too until almost all citizens are vaccinated. Everyone and anyone can be infected or even re-infected. 

It is  6:00PM now and I just turned off the Tulsa news. The Oklahoma governor is one of the worst of them. Oklahoma is one of the worst states dealing with this pandemic. They are 8th in the nation dealing with the most cases and deaths. Yet their governor and several other Republican governors will fight any mandate to get folks vaccinated. We have the science and three different vaccines yet people will ignore this mandate or fight it to protect their “personal rights". In a pandemic, personal rights do not take precedence over the rights of everyone else. 

We have to stop at stop signs and observe speed limits or suffer the consequences of a ticket. There are laws to protect everyone from abuse, murder or robbery or you can go to jail.  This mandate is designed to finally get this pandemic under control to protect us all.

Why is that so hard to understand!!!

If everyone would read the book "The Great Influenza", they would understand why this is so important. My grandmother's baby sister died in the 1918 flu pandemic. There were no medical schools in that day. If a person wanted to become a doctor, he followed a doctor around on his rounds and learned what he could. Most treatment for anything was "bleeding". Sometimes the patient was accidentally bled to death. Then the microscope was invented and France and Germany started medical schools. Then our brightest men who wanted to learn to be a doctor started going to Germany and France so they could learn  medicine. In a short while the most prestigious universities in America opened medical schools too. After all they were being left behind and their brightest men were going to France or Germany so they could learn medicine.

The 1918 pandemic began at Camp Funston  (what is now Fort Riley in Kansas). Then we got into the war and it spread across the world as our men were sent overseas. There was no treatment and millions died worldwide.The lowest estimate of the number that died from that epidemic was  21 million. That was in a world with a population of less then 1/3 of what it is today. Today's estimates by epidemiologists of the number who died is between 50 Million and 100 Million. Roughly half who died were age between 20 and 30. The epidemic stretched over two years and 8% to10% of all young adults then living, had been killed by the virus.

It is 7:25PM now and I have had my bath and it is beginning to get dark outside. 

2 comments:

Kay said...

I’m hoping that with the new mandate, we can get more control of things. I wonder though with too many people entrenched in their thinking.

Margie's Musings said...

True, Kay! It's a mess!!